International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Treasury Assistant
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Cotabato City)
Classification: General Service Staff, G-4
Type of Appointment: Special Vacancy Notice, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 February 2024
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, it works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. It is one of the factors that makes the organization qualified to deal with the complex issue of migration. IOM sees that diversity is one of the organizational strengths.
IOM aims to foster an inclusive workplace where everyone treats each other (including colleagues and beneficiaries) with dignity and respect.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Cotabato Office with direct supervision from the National Resource Management Officer the incumbent will be accountable and responsible for performing a range of treasury functions for the missionprojects in line with IOM policies, rules and regulations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist with day-to-day financial activities.
- Support the timely review of the cash position of local accounts to ensure sufficient funds for disbursements.
- Act as office petty cash custodian and maintains FBCJ cash journal
- Receive money into the cash account and pay money out from the cash account
- Ensure that the assigned cash account is kept physically secured and always locked or attended to according to the security arrangements in place.
- Process only authorized and properly documented transactions are processed to and from the cash account.
- Perform the daily and periodic reconciliation of the cash on hand within cash account to PRISM.
- Generally administering the dedicated cash on hand on behalf of Cotabato Sub Office
- Prepare Cash Certificates to support cash on hand on the last day of each month or at other times as instructed (Surprise Cash Count)
- Request cash top-up and pertinent petty cash replenishment within approved threshold.
- Document best practices and identify success stories of procurement processes and in applying this in project implementations.
- Support the project team in coordination with the project management team including providing context-based recommendations for cost-efficient and effective delivery of services.
- Support on monitoring project services and deliveries are carried out in a timely and efficient manner including providing guidance to local partners involved in the field implementation.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Accountancy, Business Administration, Commerce/Finance, or a related field from accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience in accounting or finance; or
- High School degree in above field with four years of relevant experience.
- Previous work experience in international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multicultural environment is an advantage.
- Knowledge of relevant financial discipline.
- Experience establishing and monitoring internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement.
- Experience monitoring compliance of institutional financial policies and guidelines.
- Experience operating SAP/ORACLE accounting/finance software is an advantage
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of information technologies.
- Administrative and time management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under time constraints; accurate and detail oriented;
- Excellent level of computer literacy especially in Excel and SAP
- Impeccable track of timely service delivery
- Strong ability to plan work ahead and respect deadlines.
For all applicants, fluency in English and Filipino is required (oral and written).
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Respect and promote individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Shows compassion for others, and makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 1
- Develop and promote effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 19 February 2024. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2024 004 – Treasury Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.