International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Driver
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Marawi City)
Classification: General Service Staff, G-2
Type of Appointment: Special Vacancy Notice, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 February 2024
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, it works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. It is one of the factors that makes the organization qualified to deal with the complex issue of migration. IOM sees that diversity is one of the organizational strengths.
IOM aims to foster an inclusive workplace where everyone treats each other (including colleagues and beneficiaries) with dignity and respect.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall of the National Resource Management Officer in Cotabato and direct supervision of the Sr. Procurement and Logistics Assistant in Cotabato, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing driving services and general support to the project staff.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Drive IOM vehicles in accordance with the security and transportation procedures, ensuring the safe and on-time arrival of staff from/to duty station and/or destination.
2. Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of assigned vehicles to ensure roadworthiness of vehicles, including checking of tires, brakes, engine, oil, fan belt, etc.
3. Perform minor repairs and ensure that vehicles are kept clean and ready for use.
4. Conduct monthly inventory of spare parts and update vehicle maintenance log.
5. Prepare daily log sheet and monthly report summarizing statistics for mileage, fuel consumption, and usage.
6. Ensure compliance with local rules and regulations in driving and in case of involvement in road accidents.
7. Coordinate official travel with IOM’s Office of Staff Security.
8. Support the project team in verifying service deliveries are carried out in the target locations and are compliant with the agreement as conveyed by the project team.
9. Support the project team on the management of large groups with attention to safety and handling if necessary.
10. Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience.
- Valid National Driver License.
- Two years of work experience as a driver in an international organization, or UN system with a safe driving record
- Knowledge of UN Security (radio checks, defensive driving) is an advantage.
- Knowledge and ability to operate office equipment and computer literacy will be an added advantage.
- Extensive fieldwork and travel to the Provinces of Lanao and Marawi City is an asset.
- Knowledge of the dynamics and context in the Provinces of Lanao and Marawi City is an advantage.
- Basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge in any Mindanao languages.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Respect and promote individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Shows compassion for others, and makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 1
- Develop and promote effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if the candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 19 February 2024. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2024 006 – Driver) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.