Role & Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Logistics Operations Team Lead in the Global Support Office (GSO) logistics team based in Nairobi, Kenya. This role is a key part of the GSO Logistics team for key logistics related activities including but not limited to; procurement; fleet management; stock, warehouse and asset management; logistics support.
The main purpose of this role is to work within the GSO Logistics Operations in Nairobi as follows:
- Co-ordination of exports and imports for various country programs
- Procurement for items in categories as assigned
- Equipment and asset management
- Facilities management
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. The Global Logistics team within Medair manages all the activities related to procurement, supply chain management, infrastructure, fleet, equipment & communication means. The team also develops and owns the policies and processes related to logistics activities in the field. The GSO Logistics Operations team is specifically responsible for Global and GSO Supply Chain Management and Base Management in both Switzerland and Nairobi Offices.
Workplace & Working conditions
Position is open to Kenyan nationalities or those with eligible working permit.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full-time, 12 months (renewable).
Key Activity Areas
- Receive, review and process incoming purchase requests ensuring sufficient clarity on specifications given for goods or services. Confirm any other relevant information from requestors.
- Preparation of the contracting documents depending on the procurement thresholds as per the procurement manuals
- Strategically source for goods and/or services with the aim to achieve value for money for the organization
- Analysis of procurement plans for the projects and monitoring of their implementation in collaboration with the respective teams.
- Coordinate and ensure that all purchases are reviewed and approved in accordance with the authorization matrix.
- Support the GSO Logistics Operations Team leader to analyse the local and international market and maintain data of international and local suppliers in the supplier database.
- Managing the Supplier Relationships while monitoring supplier performance.
- Follow-up on order fulfilment from suppliers within the specified timelines for active purchase orders and keep the requestors updated on the procurement status
- Organise local & international transportation of supplies
- Coordinate with identified clearing agents the export documentation & process
- Track all shipments & give timely updates to country program on shipment status
- Follow up on Certificate of Exports & bond cancellation for exported supplies and share with suppliers
- Coordinate with Finance on supplier invoice payments for purchased goods by providing support documentation for processing.
- Using ticketing system, manage the incoming requests from users including but not limited to purchases, room booking, repair & maintenance requests for teamhouse & office
- Review & renew running facility contracts
Asset & Equipment Management, Other
- Asset tagging & updating on platform
- Carry out assets verification for the Global Support Office Logistics Operation
- Follow-up on assets maintenance
- Manage motor vehicles at the Global Support Office – Kenya
- Bi-annual & annual physical asset verification and updating on portfolio & reporting
- Advising on disposal of obsolete items with the various Budget holders
- Support and assist the general work and administration of the Logistics team
- Cover for other Logistics team members when absent or re-assigned to support emergency response
- Country Program gap filling as and when requested
- Proactivity towards continuous improvement and simplification, more efficiency and saving opportunities
- Support the Business Process Expert (BPE) Focal Points within Medair; ensuring policies and procedures are up-to date and serve as reference point for questions, information and training
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, preferably with Supply Chain or Business Operations concentration.
- Master’s degree in humanitarian SCM or Humanitarian Logistics Management field (Added advantage)
- CIPS or KISM accreditation – Required
- Excellent working knowledge of the English language (speaking and writing).
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience with at least 3 yrs working in the humanitarian operational logistics programming.
- Proven experience in emergency responses desired
- Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment.
- Knowledge of international export and import protocols (medicine, medical supplies, general goods)
- Experiences of working in emergencies or conflict environment experience in international organization settings
- Inventory management: Ability to track and monitor the supply of goods, ensuring that the customers have the right amount of products in the right time, quantity, quality and delivered at the right place
- Data analysis: Ability to use data analysis to make informed decisions about the supply chain processes, use of the data to evaluate the success of the supply chain processes and make changes when necessary.
- Excellent problem-solving skills that identify and solve issues that affect the supply chain. Using the knowledge of supply chain processes to identify the problem and advice the best solution.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere, CHS and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Knowledge of donor standards (such as DFID, USAID/OFDA, ECHO, SDC, Swiss Solidarity, UNDP, WHO, etc).
- Excellent people skills with experience in collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team.
- A strategic thinker; always ready to adapt and learn with high levels of integrity, innovativeness, accountability and honesty with good negotiation skills.
- Technology savvy with proficiency in the use of MS Office software packages, Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks
- Willing to works within a community of highly competent logistics colleagues who collaborate to build and share evidence and learning
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted, multitasking
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Deadline: 1 May 2024