BBC Media Action
Interested, qualified candidates should submit the application form by clicking on this link https://forms.office.com/e/kzBL2cUhY5
Interested applicants should complete the form by 11pm BST on 22 February 2024.
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity, which uses media and communications to help reduce poverty, address development goals, and support people to understand their rights. We do this through partnering with media, civil society, and others to produce creative programmes and other outputs which inform and engage audiences on key development issues. We also strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure of local media organisations in the countries in which we work.
We work in 24 countries around the world, reaching more than 100 million people a year.
We are seeking applications to establish a pool of highly qualified individuals for potential interim Country Director (CD) positions. Successful candidates would form a pool from which specific, short-term vacancies would be filled over the months ahead.
As an interim Country Director, you will play a pivotal role in our organisation’s growth and impact. The CD is responsible for providing dynamic, inspirational leadership and management to various teams, ensuring adherence to editorial standards, and representing and being accountable for the organisation in the country. This role also involves strategic planning, business development, relationship management, and reporting to headquarters.
Your responsibilities as an interim Country Director may include but are not limited to:
- Providing inspirational leadership and management to diverse teams.
- Ensuring all activities adhere to editorial standards, timescales, and budgets.
- Implementing country strategy and leading business development opportunities.
- Expanding the organisation’s portfolio and managing relationships with funding agencies and partners.
- Ensuring that internal and external reporting obligations are met.
- Overseeing office registration and compliance, and effective office management.
- Prioritising staff security, health, and safety.
To be considered for the Country Director pool, you should possess the following qualifications:
- Considerable experience in the media or development sector, preferably both.
- Experience living and working in a country in the Global South, ideally for a development organisation.
- Strong management experience, including recruitment, team development, and project delivery.
- Budget management experience and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Track record of forming effective relationships with various stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and secure international development or media projects.
- Strong commitment to international development and media for developmental goals.
- Understanding of media with the potential to acquire senior-level editorial skills.
- Written and spoken English.
- Adaptability, resilience, and proactive problem-solving abilities.
Impact and decision-making
As a Country Director, your role involves:
- Reporting to the Regional Director or equivalent.
- Evaluating situations, decisions, issues, etc, in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Presenting sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, draw from a range of strategies to persuade internal and external stakeholders in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information in order to get the message clearly understood.
- Taking initiative, originating action and being responsible for the consequences of the decisions made.
- Thinking ahead to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritising and planning activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
How to apply
Applications are welcome from existing BBC Media Action or BBC staff and contractors; as well as from external applicants with the relevant experience. Interested candidates are invited to submit their application form outlining their qualifications and why they are interested in being part of our Country Director pool. Please do not submit your CV, instead submit the application form by 22 February 2024 on the below link: https://forms.office.com/e/kzBL2cUhY5
Please note that being part of the Country Director pool does not guarantee immediate employment. The details of successful applicants will be kept on file and contacted where specific opportunities arise, including emergencies and short-term / cover requirements, depending on our organisational needs. Pool members are not expected to commit to individual opportunities in advance and are at liberty to refuse offers as they arise.
We thank all applicants for their interest in BBC Media Action and look forward to reviewing your applications.
If you have any questions, please contact us on [email protected].
This role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children, youth, and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process.
Deadline: 22 Feb 2024