International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, the organization’s mission is the enduring purpose: to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster, including the climate crisis, to survive, recover and gain control of their future.
The IRC has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster-affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Banadir (Mogadishu), Puntland, Galmudug, and Southwest State implementing interventions in the areas of livelihoods, WASH, governance, peacebuilding, women’s protection and empowerment, nutrition, education, and health reaching hundreds of thousands of conflict and drought affected people.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Environmental Health (EH) Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene staff involved in the direct implementation of IRC’s GFFO WASH Project in Somalia. She/he is overall responsible for ensuring that approved technical designs and approaches are adhered to, maintaining program quality and that all water, sanitation, and hygiene objectives are met on time and within the budget. When requested, s/he will undertake capacity building of team members and representation in coordination forums.
- Ensure that all water and sanitation activities are in line with the project strategy and design.
- Ensure that all hygiene promotion, distribution, and monitoring activities are in line with project strategy and design.
- Assist and input into the EH strategy.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other sectors and in particular Health, Protection, Gender, WPE, and ERD.
- Ensure that the emergency water, sanitation, hygiene, and distribution activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner (SPHERE, IRC) and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Participate in any inter-sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning; – Input into the development of EH Project Strategy – Provide direct technical support to the EH Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Promotion, Infection Prevention and Control (IPC), Distribution and Monitoring teams in accordance with best practice and IRC policy.
- Ensure that water, sanitation, hygiene promotion, and distribution activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe; – Ensure the project demonstrates adherence to international and national standards, including Sphere and others.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender, and protection sensitivity, and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Propose technical designs for all water and sanitation activities including those within IRC Health facilities.
- Provide technical support and training for project staff including staff supporting infection prevention and control (IPC) measures within IRC Health Facilities.
- Provide regular reports, document results, and maintain detailed records.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Support the WASH team on technical WASH improvements for targeted Health Facilities
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff.
- Responsible for WASH teams’ timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Assist the BMZ/GFFO coordinator draft technical proposals and budgets to enable programs to meet the immediate needs of the affected community.
- May have some budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance.
- Responsible for ensuring the achievement of the specific Environmental Health grant timeline and completion date in designated areas of project/activities.
- Provides direction and monitors staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities.
Donor Monitoring & Reporting
- Lead on monitoring Environmental Health activities and spending in line with donor grants.
- Participate in timely donor reports.
- Fully responsible for field monitoring of all Environmental Health activities making recommendations for modifications of activities as required.
Coordination & Representation
- Maintains effective coordination and networking with internal as well as external stakeholders,
- Works closely and coordinates with IRC supply chain and finance staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures.
- When requested, represents IRC in external WASH forums.
Contributes to the development of IRC emergency strategy direction and plans when required and Participates in sector specific strategy development and technical proposal design
Responsible for ensuring that monitoring and data collection/analysis of all water and sanitation indicators are in line with the approved monitoring framework, using all the correct monitoring tools and at the frequency prescribed – Participate in monitoring data analysis
Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the BMZ/GFFO Coordinator, and when liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs – Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Degree-level qualification in Civil Engineering, public health, Environmental Sciences or Water recourse engineering.
- 3-5 years of experience in leading/managing WASH or Environmental Health programs with INGOs.
- Excellent understanding of WASH issues, including WASH in Health Facilities in emergency situations and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere) – Strong management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to live and work in a stressful and insecure environment.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and Able to work under pressure and be good at timely decision-making. – Fluency in English.
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel – Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field; – Excellent professional approach and strong team-building skills.
How to apply
Apply the following link:
Standard of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity : Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce
including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.