People in Need
Starting date: ASAP
Contract Length: 6 – 12 months with possible extension
Country Programme: People in Need Angola
Base: remote work / online volunteering
About the Angola Country Programme of People in Need:
Throughout the 30 years, People in Need (PIN) has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe, providing relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world. PIN has been present in Angola since 2006. The country is now still struggling with the effects of a decades-long civil war that, after its end at the turn of the millennium, left a deeply fractured society, destroyed infrastructure and nearly half of the population below the poverty line. Our team is working in the civil war-hit central provinces of Bié, the drought-stricken southern provinces of Huíla and Namibe, and the poor suburbs of the capital Luanda. We are dedicated to support the livelihoods of farming households and communities, access to safe drinking water and proper sanitation. We have been implementing projects focusing on multisectoral response covering good governance, WASH, nutrition, agriculture & food security, livelihood, and public health. PIN also continues to increase its humanitarian intervention in the country for both environmental disasters and displacement.
About the role:
You will be working under the supervision of HQ team based in Prague/Czech Republic, supporting the PIN Country Programme in Angola with proofreading and translation from English to Portuguese (and vice versa if necessary). We are looking for a person with fluent or native Portuguese and English language (excellent reading, writing skills), who will be able to work on proofreading tasks (occasionally translations) of Country Programme documents e.g. short studies, project reports, contract templates, general programme documents and thus be part of our PIN Angola team through online volunteering.
- Excellent knowledge of Portuguese (fluent or native)
- Excellent knowledge of English (mainly written)
- Ability to work independently and effectively according to set deadlines
- Time flexibility, responsibility, and attention to details
- Previous experience working with INGOs (desirable)
- Interest and/or understanding of humanitarian and development topics (desirable)
- Openness to work with diverse international team and appetite to learn about the relief and development work and its specifics related to Sub-Saharan Africa
- Background and professionalism of the largest Central European international non-governmental organization
- Fulfilling part of a larger international team with an open, informal, and dynamic culture
- PIN supports professional and personal development through internal learning opportunities (e.g. participation in PIN Induction Program, access to webinars and e-courses, internal study materials, etc.)
- Volunteer contract
- Possibility to participate in interesting events we organize (e.g. One World international film festival)
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter IN ENGLISH via this application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).