Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 85 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies, and emergency aid. Americares is one of the world’s leading nonprofit providers of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 85 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies, and emergency aid. Following the major Russian invasion of Ukraine on 24 February 2022, Americares deployed a team to Poland and subsequently to Romania to assess health needs in those countries as well as inside Ukraine. In the following weeks, Americares ramped up shipments of medicines and supplies into Ukraine where health partner organizations put them to use to serve affected populations as part of the Americares Medicine Security program. Americares has also made a number of grants to local and other NGOs in relation to Mental Health and Psycho-social Support and other areas, and this position is responsible to ensure proper management oversight of these grants.
The Americares Deputy Field Team Lead for the Ukraine Crisis reports to the Field Team lead who is responsible for overall management, representation, and administration of Americares activities in Ukraine and surrounding countries in response to the 2022 Russian invasion. S/he will be assigned direct oversight of aspects of the program and will supervise a sub-set of the field team program staff as agreed by the Team Lead. S/he will liaise closely with Americares HQ to ensure strategic programmatic and operational alignment. Responsible for supporting quality program implementation and timely reporting to donors and HQ departments.
- Participate in the refinement and implementation of Americares emergency response strategy and input into continued response planning
- Oversee day-to-day response operations including, but not limited to, team logistics, equipment, mobilization and demobilization
- Lead assigned parts of the Americares emergency field team to be confirmed
- Support relationship building among current partners and key stakeholders; identify new potential partnerships to advance Americares mission and in alignment with the response strategy
- As assigned, represent Americares in coordination meetings with key stakeholders, including participation in cluster coordination meetings and NGO forums
- Serve as an Americares spokesperson, raising visibility of health needs and Americares response efforts, our mission and programs
- Serve as a key focal point between HQ and the field to reinforce program objectives to team members, HQ and partners
- Support field team lead in ensuring duty of care, including health and wellness, safety and security of field team
- Communicate with HQ on additional needs in regard to staffing, programming, financials, funding opportunities, equipment needs, questions and any other support needed
- Participate in budget planning and implementation oversight
- Manage incident reports as needed and communicate near misses with HQ Lead
- Ensure global humanitarian principles and standards are upheld, along with Americares policies, standards and mission
- Participate in post-deployment debrief and fill out after action evaluations
Background and Qualifications
- 4-7 years’ experience implementing humanitarian response programming in the field
- 4-7 years’ experience managing humanitarian teams in the field, including health program teams
- At least five years’ experience representing humanitarian organizations in international forums, and with HQ
- Advanced degree in international development or similar preferred, BA/BS or equivalent experience required
- Professional level written and oral fluency in English required
- Ukrainian, Polish or other regional language proficiency strongly preferred
As a global health organization, we are committed to ensuring a safe environment for our staff, partners, and visitors. All Americares staff and visitors who are on-site at any of our locations or will be traveling for work are required to be fully vaccinated (which includes a booster, when eligible) against COVID-19 unless an exemption required by law is applicable.
Americares is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To request a disability accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at [email protected]