UN Mine Action Service
Qualified female candidates without UN experience are encouraged to apply!!
Qualified disabled individuals are highly encouraged to apply!!
The Support Services Manager reports to the Head of Project Unit (HPU) and leads the Support Services Team in the Project Offices. They foster collaboration within the team, using a client-oriented approach. The Support Services Manager works in close collaboration with a number of local internal stakeholders, relevant partners, and colleagues in HQ – to successfully deliver operations services.
The Support Services Manager acts as an advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of the office management and operations, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT, transportation and vehicle management, and administration and security. The main purpose of the role is to ensure the right support is in place for current and upcoming projects, balancing operational and project priorities, whilst ensuring effective, efficient, and consistent support service provision across the project portfolio and internally.
Functions/Key Results Expected
- Operations Management.
- Project Planning and Coordination Support.
- Procurement and Logistics Management.
- Financial Management.
- Human Resources Management.
- Administration and Information Technology.
- Knowledge Management.
1. Operations Management:
- Management of the Operations/Support Services of the Office, namely HR Management, Finance, Procurement, Logistical, Administrative and ICT Services – facilitating effective, efficient and consistent support service provision to projects and all activities under the Office.
- Support the HPU in establishing the management targets and to monitor their achievement.
- Collaborate with relevant colleagues to identify the need, determine cost and pro-actively plan all Office support services.
- Monitor and supervise all aspects of operations to ensure compliance with corporate strategies, UNOPS rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity and achievement of results. Ensure proper implementation of standards and operating procedures.
- Monitor effectiveness of support services, to ensure optimum client service and satisfaction. Drive timely readjustment and improvements of the operations.
- Seek relevant input in support, from e.g. Head of Projects Unit (HPU), Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS), and Practice Groups.
- Act as a focal point for any internal/external audit exercise.
- Support the HPU on security related matters, ensuring full compliance with UNOPS security standards and procedures.
2. Project Planning and Coordination Support:
- Provide assistance and support to the project budget preparation, revisions, and work planning.
- Provide input into the early stages of project engagements.
- Provide advice on goal setting, targets, and performance standards for projects and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation, and auditing.
- Provide advice on project cost sharing, deployment of funds, and closure.
- Closely liaise with the Head of Support Services for the Multi-Country Office, in order to optimize service delivery and address any issues.
3. Procurement and Logistics Management:
- Supervise the Office procurement processes, including tendering processes and evaluation and supplier selection, to ensure viable procurement solutions that meet operational needs and compliance with UNOPS procurement procedures, regulations, and standards of accountability, ethics, integrity, and performance.
- Establishment of shortlist of suitable contractors/suppliers, and the preparation and issue of local tenders. Evaluation of bids or proposals received and of recommendations for contract awards.
- Reallocate resources (funds and personnel) as required within the resource planning and results management framework requirements of UNOPS.
- Provision of guidance on all logistics, asset management and procurement matters. Oversee the logistics of goods and equipment on project sites to confirm delivery and safe warehousing.
- Establishment and management of a vehicle pool for providing transportation services as required by the Office as well as to meet logistical needs.
- Repair and maintenance for all equipment including EDP equipment, communications equipment, vehicles and generators, etc.
- Development and implementation of a vehicle management and maintenance system in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures;
4. Financial Management:
- Support the HPU in preparation of the Office financial plan and budget. Ensure timely revisions and reallocation of funds.
- Oversee the Support Services finance personnel and ensure compliance with the UNOPS/Financial Rules & Regulations and Finance procedures.
- Monitor, track and control expenditure to ensure optimum and appropriate use of financial resources.
- Ensure the availability of required financial reports and exception reports including investigating anomalies to resolve problems, reporting or recommending any action required to relevant stakeholders.
- Supervise the timely review, posting, and closure of accounts. Certify/verify accuracy and compliance with standards of accountability framework. Submit/prepare mandated reports on financial status.
- Supervise all financial services (accounting, cash management, payments, etc.) ensuring timeliness and compliance with standards of accountability and performance.
- Monitor the Management Budget expenditures for the Office and ensure that LMDC (Locally Managed Direct Cost) is properly recovered, billed, and spent in accordance with the applicable procedures.
5. Human Resources Management:
- Oversee the Support Services HR personnel and plan personnel required for PSC AFG office.
- Ensure the Office complies with corporate human resources policies, and procedures and that all corporate HR initiatives are correctly implemented.
- Support the HPU in planning personnel required for the optimal administration of the office and for the delivery of the Office portfolio.
- Oversee all human resource services/processes including recruitment, salary administration and compensation, performance review, training, and development, ensuring compliance with human resource rules, regulations, procedures, and standards of performance and ensuring that hiring managers actively seek to create diverse teams in terms of gender and geography.
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility. Definition of training plans for personnel involved in the delivery of support services.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
6. Administration and Information Technology:
- Manage the timely and efficient delivery of all administrative services, (e.g. centralized project admin, premises and asset management, organizational and personnel security, travel, and IT).
- Full compliance of operations of the Country with UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies, on administrative matters and supervision of the administrative team.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries, supervision of the ICT staff, if applicable.
- Manage the acquisition, maintenance, inventory, recording, verification, and protection of project and administrative facilities/assets, including IT infrastructure, equipment, and servers.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging the use of IT to enhance business operations and efficiency and to facilitate knowledge management, and information sharing.
7. Knowledge Management:
Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Office, synthesis of lessons learned/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge management initiatives.
Development of tools and platforms for operations and data management, ensuring information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients, and partners.
Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or
First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as progressively responsible experience in administrative operations or operations management in a public or private organisation.
- Experience in Procurement, Finance, Logistics, Asset Management, Human resources, or business administration is required.
- Experience in budget management is desired.
- Experience working in a large global organization is desired.
- Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking) is required.
- Fluency in Dari or Pashtu (reading, writing, speaking) is required.
How to apply
Please visit the below link:
Deadline: 17 Feb 2024