ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital rights and Internet freedom! Internews’ Greater Internet Freedom (GIF) project is seeking a full-time Senior Program Associate (SPA) to support a 12-month intervention focused on building multistakeholder coalitions to counter digital rights abuses in Serbia. In this position, the SPA, under the supervision of the Project Director, will manage all administrative and logistical support aspects of program implementation. A significant portion of the SPA’s role will be setting up and managing subgrants to project partners.
This position supports a local intervention which forms part of a broader global Internet freedom initiative funded by USAID. Internews launched this three-year initiative in August 2020 to enhance digital security for civil society and media organizations, to engage citizens in internet governance debates, and to advance human rights online. This project places regional and local organizations at the forefront of the fight to preserve an open, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet. By supporting localized Internet freedom initiatives within a global, community-based Internet freedom strategy, the GIF Consortium will construct strong local and regional bulwarks against a rising wave of digital authoritarianism.
This is a remote position, based in Serbia. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
This 12-month position is contingent upon funding and the expected start date is July 1, 2022. This position will be hired on a rolling basis and will remain open until hire.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Lead the set-up, ongoing management and closeout of all local partner subgrants issued under this intervention. This includes reviewing the prospective grantee applications, program and design, leading budget negotiations, and deliverables and payments;
- Support all administrative aspects of this intervention, in coordination with the rest of the GIF team and the Business Management team;
- In coordination with the Business Management team, ensure program implementation complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures;
- Lead the issuance of personal service contracts, outside service contracts and simple service contracts;
- Assist in the development of team norms, systems and practices;
- Maintain project activity tracking schedules for project development and follow-up communications with funders;
- Assist with project oversight, including financial tracking and progress towards program deliverables;
- Coordinate travel logistics, assist with visa applications, and arrange accommodations for project staff, partners and subgrantees;
- Track and manage personnel invoices and contracts, expenses and credit reports;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree OR a minimum of 2-4 years programmatic experience, preferably with international programs and projects;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments;
- Experience with project management and/or partnership management;
- Experience with financial management and familiarity with USAID rules and regulations;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Superior analytical, organizational and writing ability, with strong attention to detail;
- Experience with MS Excel and Word;
- Serbian and English language skills;
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe.
- Experience in working on international programs that promote human rights or Internet freedom;
- Proficiency in Airtable or similar project management software;
- Experience with event planning and/or arranging travel logistics;
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets;
- Experience managing subgrants.
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.