Oxfam is an international confederation working globally in different languages. Recognizing the importance of this, the OI Translations Team was set up in order to help meet the translations needs of such a large international organization by:
• Providing cost-effective yet high-quality translations, both internal and external.
• Coordinating the translations process for the Oxfam International Secretariat.
• Ensuring consistency over time and across the Oxfam confederation by developing and maintaining translation memories and glossaries.
The OI Translations Team’s mandate is to work across OIS departments and in coordination with the national Oxfam affiliate organizations and various global teams.
The OI Translations Team works is in full partnership with the Oxfam GB Translations Team as one virtual translations service.
Oxfam International’s 4 global languages are English, French, Spanish and Arabic.
The Senior Translations Coordinator sits within the Public Engagement Department in the Brand Team.
- Operate as the primary (but not sole) focal point and coordinator in the OI Translations Team for clients, the Oxfam GB Translations Team and where required other stakeholders, to ensure across project and team planning, address or escalate operational issues, report on progress and implement systematic improvements under the responsibility of the Head of Brand.
- Translating a variety of external and internal communications and technical materials from English into French.
- Managing and coordinating the translation of a variety of external and internal communications and technical materials to and from English, French, Spanish, Arabic and, occasionally, into other languages, through internal/in-house capacity and external suppliers.
- Proofreading and editing final translated versions.
- Planning and coordinating projects, mobilizing internal and/or external resources for translation and proofreading, estimating budget needs, managing relationships and negotiating with external providers, managing time and workload to ensure the timely delivery of projects, quality assurance and post-delivery evaluation, monitoring in-house and outsourced activity.
- Developing glossaries and providing leadership on key terminology management.
- Working with the wider translations network within Oxfam to ensure that the translation process is effective and efficient, as well as quality and consistency.
- Providing technical advice and support to Oxfam affiliate, country and functional teams to help them get acquainted with and integrate the translation process into their decision processes and ways of working.
- Promoting translations best-practice within the organization by systematic inductions, communication materials, etc.
- Developing and maintaining an external translation providers’ database for both paid and pro bono services, including negotiating fees.
- Setting up and managing a translation internship program.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Translation or any other relevant language.
- Native speaker of Spanish with a near native command of English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- At least five years of experience in a translation role, with excellent knowledge and understanding of industry practice.
- Perfect command using CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tools and terminology management tools, preferably Trados and Multiterm.
- Experience in project management.
- Proven forward planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to manage own workload and work independently whilst working effectively as part of a team.
- Willing and able to adapt priorities in order to respond to fast-changing and pressing demands.
- Accuracy, consistency and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills and confidence in negotiating with staff at all levels.
- Proven good client-handling skills.
- Proven ability to use initiative and find innovative solutions.
- Experience of working with remote offices.
- Knowledge of at least one additional language: Spanish and Arabic.
- Experience and interest for the international Development sector.
- Affinity with Oxfam’s aims and objectives.
- Experience and understanding of Oxfam’s translations service.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
How to apply
Please Click below link on how to apply