Norwegian Refugee Council
The purpose of the Protection from Violence Adviser position is to provide technical support to and development of the Protection from Violence (PfV) Core Competency (CC), including strategic direction and quality assurance, to NRC teams working in the Middle East Region. The position holder will have overall responsibility for the implementation of the Protection from Violence core competency, policy, guidelines, and technical developments in the region.
The Regional PfV Adviser leads strategic thinking on Protection from Violence, with a particular focus on ensuring that our in-country programming is considerate of the diverse protection needs in the region. Recognizing that Protection from Violence is comprised of 4 strategic result areas, knowledge of a) site management and urban displacement outside of camps (UDOC) programming, b) community safety and violence prevention, c) individual protection services, and d) thought leadership will be key to success in this role.
Why you should apply
- Are you interested in influencing how the sector is going to look like at Global and country level? This position presents an opportunity to shape a new sector in NRC.
- Its a good professional challenge. In this position you will gain regional exposure and diverse work – you will support country offices both remotely and at Country Office level and you will have an opportunity to contribute to human mobility work.
- It presents an opportunity to work with some of the major donors.
- Its an opportunity to work for an international organization and one of the leading INGO’s in Jordan
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with a dedicated team advocating for the rights of people forced to flee.
- Amman is a family duty station.
- You will have an international contract with your salary pegged on the USD, additionally the position comes with an attractive roving allowance.
- Other benefits include medical insurance, accommodation, Education for children and relocation costs.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- Empowering and building trust;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
What you will do
- Develop regional Protection from Violence strategy in-line with global response strategy and CC development strategy.
- Support development of Protection from Violence Core Competency (CC) strategies in NRC country offices, including technical guidance and macro-log frames, that are aligned with regional and global strategies and priorities.
- Ensure compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports.
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Protection from Violence CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation.
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support.
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Protection from Violence CC implementation and incorporated in CC and staff development processes.
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff in the prevention of and response to violence.
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with regional level donors.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
Specifically you will be responsible for;
- Championing program development for Protection Case Management and Individual Protection Assistance. Supervision of the Protection Case Management Adviser, as well as provide project and budget management support.
- Drafting of global tools, guidelines, and other implementation materials related to Protection Case Management and Individual Protection Assistance, including on cross-cutting themes such as protection mainstreaming or cash within case management.
- They will also play a key knowledge management role, supporting other regional advisers to roll out protection case management and individual protection assistance in other regions.
Professional competencies, skills & qualifications
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (law, social sciences or related disciplines). An advanced academic qualification will be an added advantage.
- Strong background in protection case management, protection monitoring and analysis, Humanitarian Protection, including protection of civilians and protection cluster coordination.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience relevant professional experience as a Specialist/Adviser/Manager within the humanitarian protection field, including experience of working in both direct implementation and advisory role.
- Demonstrated experience applying a risk-based approach to protection case management, as well as using cash for protection outcomes.
- Expertise in Community Engagement. Additional experience in site management and UDOC programming would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in drafting and encouraging implementation of policy/strategic guidance, and developing practical tools and resources as well as understanding of and commitment to organisational learning, and the role of M&E to quality management as well as integrated programming approaches.
- Understanding of, and commitment to working collaboratively with technical and operational colleagues within a matrix structure, including experience in capacity building and training curricula development.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal, fluency in one or more languages spoken in the region would also be an advantage.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Experience supporting access and/or community led negotiations would be an asset.
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience managing a complex protection programme including implementation, programme development, fundraising and budget development.
- Excellent understanding of key technical standards (IASC, protection mainstreaming, IHL, gender and humanitarian principles, donor markers on gender and disability etc.) and a demonstrated ability to integrate them into programming.
- Understanding of and experience working within the IASC humanitarian architecture/UNHCR led refugee response coordination model. Experience representing an agency in national coordination mechanisms would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the regional humanitarian context.
- Fluent English requirement and and knowledge of Arabic preferred.
- Experience with start-up, scale-up projects and emergency contexts.
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
What We Offer
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
We offer an opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause and a chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take initiative.
Grade: Grade 9
Reports to : Regional Head of Core Competency Unit – Middle East Office
Duty station: Amman, Jordan
Travel: 40% (Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Tunisia, Libya)
Duration and type of contract: 2 years contract – fixed term
Salary: Based Upon NRC salary Scale.
For more detailed information, find the detailed Job Description
How to apply
We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Apply here. Send in your application by latest July 21st, 2023.
Please ensure you attach copies of your academic and professional certificates.
For any queries, please email us at mero.rec[email protected] with the “Job Title” as the subject.
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.