About the Organisation
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting respect by Armed Groups and de Facto Authorities (AGDA) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call focuses its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict, working towards the elimination of gender discrimination, protection of civilian infrastructure and humanitarian access.
The role of Regional Head of Programme and Development is to ensure effective coordination and implementation of the country programmes and regional projects as well as to assist the Head of Region in managing the region, with representation and strategic development, and build cohesive relationships with key stakeholders in the region. The Regional Head of Programme and Development will ensure coordination and collaboration with Programme, Policy and Legal, Donor Relations and other units.
Strategy and program
- Ensures coordination and implementation of projects and programme activities in consultation with the country teams.
- Advises country teams in the implementation of programme activities against approved and secured funds.
- Conducts programme audits in consultation with country teams to ensure high quality of output and implementation rate.
- In coordination with the Programme, Policy & Legal, and MEAL units, ensures effective support is channelized on programme/project implementation to regional desks and Heads of Programmes in the field; hosts regular learning and collaboration opportunities for field and HQ staff to discuss programme/project implementation strategies and good practices.
- Oversees the context analysis for Sahel, DRC, Sudan & South Sudan (AFRICA). Reports overall trends to the Head of Region.
- In coordination with the country teams, develops high quality new project proposals for multi-country donors.
- Engages and builds relations with donors in coordination with country directors and Donor Relations unit.
- Develops relationships with international organisations to support country missions.
- Administrative and financial oversight of regional project and ensuring quality implementation and reporting.
- Supports Geneva Call’s institutional strategic development through the implementation of the updated Theory of Change and Strategic Plan 2024-2027.
Management & Coordination
- Provides line management to Heads of Programme.
- Supports country teams in developing advocacy messages for relevant stakeholders.
- In coordination with the Head of Region, develops proactive regional advocacy strategy for key regional actors.
- Coordinates with country and the respective units at HQ and organizes events to promote Geneva Call work.
- Represents Geneva Call at programme, advocacy, and coordination events/meetings with the international community and other forums in coordination with country directors and the Head of Region.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
- Completed master’s degree in relevant field such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law, or Human Rights.
- Working proficiency in English and French.
Main qualifications, experiences, and skills
- Demonstrating integrity: upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to GC’s values.
- Experience in management of humanitarian country operations.
- Experience in working in complex security environments.
- Strong knowledge of security management.
- Experience in external representation and development of donor relations in competitive environments.
- Project cycle management (5 years).
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment.
- Developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation, and coaching.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other stakeholders.
- People management experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice.
Years of Experience
- Minimum 10 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organisation with international and field exposure.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Head of Programme and Development – Africa
- Type of contract: Fixed Term (International contract)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Work place: Addis-Abeba, Ethiopia
- Preferred start date: 1 July 2024
How to apply
To apply please follow the link:
No later than 29 February 2024.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.
Deadline: 29 Feb 2024