Background Information – Philippines
Established in 2016, UNOPS Philippines provides expert support to ensure sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure activities in projects. With funds from the European Union (EU), UNOPS supports the Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government under the Governance in Justice (GOJUST) Programme (GOJUST2) through procurement, logistics, and grants management to push forward the justice reform agenda of the Philippine government through innovations and interventions; as well as providing grants to civil society organizations to improve access to justice of marginalized groups. In the Support to the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme, UNOPS is working with the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Government strengthening capacities of the executive, legislative and judicial branches to ensure a smooth transition, also with funds from the EU. In the health sector, UNOPS works with the DOH / ADB in the HEAL project (Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit COVID-19).
The UNOPS Philippines Office is part of the UNOPS Cambodia Multi-Country Officer (KHMCO), which provides oversight, support and services to UNOPS operations in the country offices.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio of projects and programs in the infrastructure, logistics management, procurement in health, rule of law, and governance sectors and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts. With a mandate in infrastructure, and experience in most infrastructure sectors, UNOPS is looking to be more visible in the area of reconstruction and recovery in the Philippines. UNOPS supports humanitarian, recovery and sustainable development projects by providing infrastructure, procurement and project management services.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit (HEAL) COVID-19 project (2020 – mid 2022) funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) aims to assist in scaling-up the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) emergency response of the Philippines Government while strengthening the Philippine Health System to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
Through this project, the Department of Health (DOH) will procure through UNOPS emergency medical supplies, laboratory equipment and consumables, and fully outfitted laboratories and isolation wards for the targeted molecular laboratories and hospitals, as well as procurement and installation of equipment for infectious waste treatment using microwave technology housed in 20 feet prefabricated containers.
The overall objective of this project is to strengthen the preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines Health System in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19, and in the longer term to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
The availability of the key equipment and new infrastructure will strengthen the ability of the health system in the Philippines to effectively treat COVID-19 cases. The expected outcomes of the project are:
- Strengthened preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines health system in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- Reduced COVID-19 transmission and increased safety of the local populations.
- Project Support:
- Provide support to the project team, ensuring that relevant project support functions requiring programme and operational support are provided in a professional and timely manner;
- Assist to ensure that all relevant project documents and administrative files are maintained as per corporate requirements and UNOPS shared drive guidelines;
- Support development and upkeep of records, logs, reports and other documents, as required;
- Assist the Engineers in preparation of all relevant reports, data collection and coordination with external partners; Ensure timely preparation of documentation for project reporting;
- Facilitate and ensure provision of administrative, procurement, HR and logistics support required;
- Assist in drafting of letters, memoranda, email, etc.; monitoring of progress and liaising with external partners (contractors, DOH) during the project life cycle;
- Support the Team Lead in the periodic project meetings, including preparing presentations, sharing of documents and minute taking;
- Perform other related duties as required from Team Lead.
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Assist in the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality (test reports, RFIs, etc.) during the progress of works;
3. Knowledge Management & Innovation:
- Contribute to identifying Risks, Lessons Learned and Issues and enter relevant information in OneUNOPS project following the Supervisor’s approval;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices;
- Contribute with feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Secondary school diploma is required;
- A Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Public administration, Procurement, Finance, Project management, Construction or related area is an asset.
- At least five (5) years of experience in project management support and coordination. A bachelor or a master’s degree may substitute for some or all the required years of experience respectively;
- Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills, both internally and externally is desired;
- Experience in technical report writing is highly desired;
- High proficiency with computers and good experience with office software packages – working with MS Office and G-Suite platform including Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
- Fluency in English is desirable.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: ICS-5/ LICA 5
Contract duration: Open-ended,with possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
This vacancy is a local position based in a family duty station and open to Philippines Nationals Only.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.