International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Project Development Officer
Duty Station: IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Libya, the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Development and Donor Relations Officer based in Tunis, and in close coordination with relevant Project Managers, Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) and Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will document and recommend IOM- relevant project opportunities, contribute to the development of project proposals, and draft or generate project reports for the County office (CO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Act as a focal point for the development of new projects/programmes in line with the Strategic Vision, the Continental Strategy for Africa 2020-2024, the Regional Office Middle East, and North Africa (MENA) 2020-2024 strategy, IOM Libya strategy, in close coordination with the relevant programmatic units, government authorities, international and regional institutions, and partner organizations in public/private sectors.
- Closely coordinate and liaise with IOM units at HQs, RO and other COs involved in the project and work in PRIMA and facilitate alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular (GCM) framework, and 2063 Agenda to insert project documents and help obtain endorsement and approvals for submission.
- Support Programme and Resources Management in monitoring programmatic progress through budget monitoring and liaison with relevant donors on budget modifications and project extensions.
- Provide technical and administrative support for the planning and organization of new projects/programmes. Monitor and backstop ongoing technical activities in compliance with IOM regional guidelines and the requirements of individual governments.
- Draft donor profiles and guidance notes on donor priorities. Assist in developing approaches to expand the IOM donor base, including research and mapping of calls for proposals and funding trends.
- In close coordination with programme units, coordinate the timely and quality preparation and submission of project reports according to IOM and donor formats as required.
- Compile and draft regular or ad-hoc summaries and reports. Check that they are in line with donor requirements and are shared with relevant units.
- Participate in seminars and other meetings as requested.
- Assist with regular information/reporting requirements relating to operations of the CO, including inquiries from Headquarters, donors, partners and network of IOM regional offices on issues related to IOM Libya programs.
Provide drafting support and conduct research for various materials and presentations, such as background information papers, talking points, speeches.
- As requested, liaise with other counterparts in UN agencies, international organizations, NGOs, government offices and donor organizations, as well as diplomatic missions.
- Act as a PDSU focal point, providing technical support to Libyan authorities on international migration policy processes.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project assessments as required.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Global Health, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in supporting project development and project management, and humanitarian andmigration-related activities;
- Experience implementing complex project activities, budget monitoring, report writing, and liaison with project counterparts;
- Experience with project coordination, scheduling, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in liaising with government and donor counterparts, and national/international institutions.
- Proven ability to work in a team and with counterparts at different levels;
- Knowledge of MS office is a must and advanced statistical skills an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
This position is based in Tunis, Tunisia; with possible relocation to Libya if and when the situation is conducive.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.06.2022 to 23.06.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 185 Project Development Officer (P2) IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia (57622875) Released
Posting: Posting NC57622876 (57622876) Released