Community Organized Relief Effort
The Wildfire Mitigation Program Manager will lead the execution of the Community Wildfire Defense Grant (CWDG) in partnership with the Fire Safe Council Siskiyou County (FSCSC). This role includes strategic project management of various initiatives, such as home assessments, defensible space activities, fuel reduction, and targeted educational outreach for the 29 communities located in Siskiyou County. The Program Manager will provide leadership and guidance to the Program Coordinator, acting as the main point of contact for the program in the region. In addition, the Program Manager will work closely with the FSCSC to review weekly, monthly, and quarterly targets and milestones to achieve the goals and requirements of the CWDG.
This position may also be designated as a resource for national deployment to aid in various disaster scenarios as part of CORE’s Emergency Relief Team.
- Lead the CORE and FSCSC implementation of the Community Wildfire Defense Grant program in Siskiyou County.
- Act as the primary liaison with the FSCSC, community-based organizations, and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee home assessments and defensible space projects, ensuring owner permission,completion, and effectiveness.
- Guide the development and delivery of wildfire mitigation education and outreach programs, specifically aimed at the region’s most vulnerable populations.
- Manage relationships with a wide array of local, county and state stakeholders, fostering effective partnerships and community involvement.
- Oversee assessments of homes for wildfire risk and the development of assessment protocols and tracking.
- Manage the program’s administrative and M&E support needs, ensuring compliance, data integrity, and effective tracking of outcomes.
- Oversee the creation, presentation,and distribution of engaging and comprehensive wildfire mitigation educational materials.
- Guide the inventory management of vehicles, tools, equipment, supplies, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of all local, state, and federal emergency alert systems and fire weather warnings and assist the community in understanding these systems.
- Supervise and mentor the Program Coordinator, providing guidance, knowledge, and support.
- Be prepared for national deployment to support operations in the event of wildfires, earthquakes, floods, debris flows, and other disasters as part of CORE’s Emergency Relief Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Scope and Travel:
- Supervise1 Wildfire Mitigation Program Coordinator.
- Supervise 1-2 California Emergency Response Corp Fellows (CERC) as assigned.
- Significant travel within the 29 communities that make-up Siskiyou County. Travel also includes within California for work meetings, trainings, conferences, and other locations as part of CORE’s Emergency Relief Team.
- Bachelor’s degree in emergency management, environmental science, forestry, or a related field, or equivalent real-life experience in wildfire mitigation or disaster preparedness. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Relevant certifications such as Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist or Project Management Professional (PMP) are preferred, but equivalent experience will be considered.
- Proficiency in creating and delivering presentations to a variety of audiences in different environments.
- Proficiency in a second language such as Spanish, Hmong, or Karuk, spoken by communities in Siskiyou County, can be a plus.
- Minimum 3 years in the field of disaster preparedness, environmental health, or climate science/resilience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in program management,wildfire mitigation or disaster preparedness, with a record of effective team leadership.
- Proven experience in community outreach and education, especially with vulnerable populations.
- Proficient in high-level project and people management.
- Demonstrable ability to assess wildfire risk and develop robust assessment protocols.
- Experience in inventory management of tools, equipment, and PPE.
- Familiarity with Siskiyou County, CA and its specific wildfire risks and community dynamics.
- Demonstrated experience with preparing and monitoring grant funded program budgets.
- Familiarity with community-based organizations.
Skills and Competencies:
- Deep understanding of wildfire home assessment and defensible space best practices.
- Proficiency in data management, with an emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills, with experience presenting to diverse audiences.
- Comprehensive knowledge of local emergency alert systems and fire weather warnings and fire behavior.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and a high level of output.
- Proficient in MS Office applications and ESRI GIS Suite.
- Work proactively with little supervision.
- Flexible and adaptive to a frequently changing environment
- Strong project management, leadership, and organizational skills.
$72,900 – $72,900 a year
In accordance with CA law, the expected pay range for this CA position is posted with this position. The actual compensation will be determined based on experience and other factors permitted by law.
How to apply
To apply please go to the CORE Website using this link: https://jobs.lever.co/coreresponse/50e2e610-a203-414c-a718-5c56b371f8ec
Deadline: 30 Apr 2024