CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Director
FHI 360 seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Director based in Manila, Philippines, to support an anticipated USAID-funded project aimed to improving the Higher Education in the Philippines. The anticipated flagship higher education activity will continue the thrust of the Mission of strengthening Philippines higher education as a key driver of inclusive growth. This activity will build on the significant gains made by the Philippines in addressing the challenges in higher education, innovation, and human capital development, as well as help the sector respond to medium to long-term effects caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This position is subject to donor funding
The MERL Director is responsible for overseeing all project research and Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) activities, including design and implementation in close collaboration with other project teams. The MERL Director will work collaboratively with other team members to build an understanding of tools, and ensure data is correctly collected, analyzed, disseminated, and used by relevant stakeholders. S/he is responsible for the design of surveys and analytical products, as well as for analyzing data against key indicators, including identifying key project learnings and informing necessary adaptations to achieve project goals and preparing all reports required by USAID and for project internal purposes. S/he is responsible for developing tools and building the capacity of sub-awardees and other project beneficiaries who will utilize data and report to the project for M&E purposes.
The MERL Director will also lead the project’s Knowledge Management functions and serve as the project’s Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA) coordinator with the COP as the lead. S/he will be a senior member of the project management team and be responsible, along with the Chief of Party, for overall technical quality of the project. The MERL Director will supervise the M&E team.
The position will be resident-based in Manila, Philippines. Employment is contingent upon successful award of the Higher Education project to FHI 360, as well as USAID approval of the finalist.
- Lead, manage, and coordinate implementation of M&E systems and reporting requirements for the project, including progress against key indicators from the project Activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP).
- Design, develop, and oversee implementation of M&E tools and systems to collect, analyze, and aggregate data that measure project impact and results against key AMELP indicators.
- Lead data collection design, analysis, and use of data to promote evidence-based programming, provide timely feedback in relation to project targets, work plan activities and objectives, and address gaps in programming.
- Develop high quality quantitative and qualitative methods and participatory methodologies to monitor program quality for performance and results.
- Maintain understanding of overall M&E function and monitor the work in data analysis from other tools.
- Revise, redesign, and monitor effectiveness of Data Collection tools, including spreadsheet templates as well as reporting frameworks in the project’s Knowledge Management System (KMS).
- Develop protocols on Data Collection and work with M&E team to train staff and ensure accurate understanding of how to use Data Collection tools and assign and monitor responsibility for data collection and data entry.
- Experience in leading and implementing Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) approaches, and developing learning and systems thinking is preferable.
- Coordinate with all project teams, including technical and grants staff, to ensure sufficient understanding of Data Collection requirements, and ensure data is collected in a timely manner to meet USAID reporting deadlines.
- Analyze data collected through spreadsheet and KMS tools, prepare and ensure accuracy of all USAID reporting requirements.
- Communicate with relevant USAID and other donor projects on M&E actions and training activities, and support integration of the project’s M&E with the Mission’s teams.
- Contribute to training materials and conduct workshops for subawardees on their M&E requirements against primary project indicators and develop templates and reporting schedules/protocols for grantees.
- Support sub-awardees, where applicable, in developing M&E data collection and analysis plans required both for project reporting purposes and measuring overall effectiveness of activities supported by the project.
- Design and maintain project KMS, including developing reporting functions that align to project indicators, and developing Data Collection Protocols for staff.
- Monitor KMS data entry and analysis to ensure KMS is meeting project needs.
- Work with senior management and M&E team to revise and adapt programming based on survey findings, analysis of progress against key indicators, and other feedback mechanisms.
- Master’s degree in social science, international development, or a related field.
- 12+ years of relevant experience, including at least 8+ years of experience in managing data intensive programs and designing M&E activities for donor-funded programs, including hands-on practical experience setting up and managing M&E systems.
- Demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of development and monitoring of output, outcome, and impact indicators.
- Prior experience utilizing Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) approaches to improve project performance and achieve impact.
- Prior experience designing M&E systems and tools on economic growth-related projects preferred.
- Strong diagnostic, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, databases, spreadsheets.
- Must be a strong self-starter.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills; demonstrates initiative and good judgment.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English
FHI 360 is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to apply
Send letter of intent and updated CV/resume in a single PDF file directly to FHI 360 Career Site via this link.
The position will remain open until it is filled, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified for the next screening process.