Background Information – Philippines
Established in 2016, UNOPS Philippines provides expert support to ensure sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure activities in projects. With funds from the European Union (EU), UNOPS supports the Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government under the Governance in Justice (GOJUST) Programme (GOJUST2) through procurement, logistics, and grants management to push forward the justice reform agenda of the Philippine government through innovations and interventions; as well as providing grants to civil society organizations to improve access to justice of marginalized groups. In the Support to the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme, UNOPS is working with the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Government strengthening capacities of the executive, legislative and judicial branches to ensure a smooth transition, also with funds from the EU. In the health sector, UNOPS works with the DOH / ADB in the HEAL project (Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit COVID-19).
The UNOPS Philippines Office is part of the UNOPS Cambodia Multi-Country Officer (KHMCO), which provides oversight, support and services to UNOPS operations in the country offices.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio of projects and programs in the infrastructure, logistics management, procurement in health, rule of law, and governance sectors and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts. With a mandate in infrastructure, and experience in most infrastructure sectors, UNOPS is looking to be more visible in the area of reconstruction and recovery in the Philippines. UNOPS supports humanitarian, recovery and sustainable development projects by providing infrastructure, procurement and project management services.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit (HEAL) COVID-19 project (2020 – mid 2022) funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) aims to assist in scaling-up the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) emergency response of the Philippines Government while strengthening the Philippine Health System to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
Through this project, the Department of Health (DOH) will procure through UNOPS emergency medical supplies, laboratory equipment and consumables, and fully outfitted laboratories and isolation wards for the targeted molecular laboratories and hospitals, as well as procurement and installation of equipment for infectious waste treatment using microwave technology housed in 20 feet prefabricated containers.
The overall objective of this project is to strengthen the preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines Health System in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19, and in the longer term to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
The availability of the key equipment and new infrastructure will strengthen the ability of the health system in the Philippines to effectively treat COVID-19 cases. The expected outcomes of the project are:
- Strengthened preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines health system in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- Reduced COVID-19 transmission and increased safety of the local populations.
1. Coordination, Delivery, and Performance:
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination with the contractors and end user according to the needs and requirements on site;
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the mechanical and plumbing services of project;
- Review and ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements;
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs;
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary;
- Assists in testing, commission, training and handover of mechanical and plumbing deliverables to end-user.
- Coordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned,
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and construction phases;
- Perform other related duties as required from Team Lead.
2. Governance, Monitoring and Reporting:
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Team Lead/ Sr. Project Manager;
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on site activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a regular basis to the Team Lead;
- Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the Team Lead;
- Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Team Lead accordingly;
- Check all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the Team Lead accordingly;
- Assess the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Team Lead;
- Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary;
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing as stipulated by the Team Lead;
- Work closely with other Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design;
- Carry out design of services for projects according to the Client’s Design requirement and as per international standards and codes of practices;
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible late delivery prior to the event;
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of engineering services (specifications, BOQs, rates, test reports, etc.).
3. Administrative Tasks:
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Manage mechanical and plumbing engineering related material archiving;
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality during the progress of works;
- Check and verify the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submit detailed reports to the Team Lead.
4. Knowledge Management & Innovation:
- Contribute to identifying Risks, Lessons Learned and Issues and enter relevant information in OneUNOPS project following the Supervisor’s approval;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices;
- Contribute with feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or any other related field is required.
- A combination of a Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above
- License/Board Certification in Engineering is desirable.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset.
- Experience in Mechanical and Plumbing systems design, supervision and coordination of significant magnitude and/or complexity, resource management, technical knowledge and application of standards.
- Experience in vertical construction/medium rise building mechanical and plumbing installations, testing & commissioning.
- Experience in mechanical and plumbing installations, testing & commissioning of at least one health facility in an urban location is highly desired.
- Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills, both internally and externally;
- Experience in delivering technical advice and reports at all stages from initiation to final project delivery;
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position’s field of expertise such as “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher), Revit. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
- Fluency in English is desirable.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: ICS-8/ LICA 8
Contract duration: Open-ended,with possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
This vacancy is a local position based in a family duty station and open to Philippines Nationals Only.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.