Yoga and Sports with Refugees
Completing an internship with Yoga and Sport with Refugees (YSR) is a great opportunity to combine an academic internship with very practical on the ground experience in a grassroots non-governmental organisation (NGO) working with refugees. Your internship will be a combination of a specific project, event organisation and regular volunteering in our gyms. This means you will also do gymshifts where you register people, take care of the equipment and provide everyone with what they need to exercise.
Your internship will be specific project to one of our pillars:
- Mental and physical well-being
- Community building
- Skills building and empowerment
- Advocacy and awareness
Or working with one of our general teams:
- Coach Support Programme
- Monitoring and evaluation
Additional projects are:
- Women participation
- Meaningful participation
It is common for interns to work across one or two projects during their time with us and we aim to be flexible to ensure interns gain the experience they desire where possible.
For each of our goals we have set targets and strategic steps designed to reach during the year. All internships are linked to our strategy, which ensures they are impactful and you will help us to realise our goals! The exact outline of your internship is to be discussed with the responsible director and depends on your background and interests.
Besides desk based work, we are regularly organising community, cultural and fundraising events, which you will be asked to help organise.
You will meet weekly with the other interns, staff team and your responsible coordinator to discuss the progress on your project and where this might overlap with others.
We are looking for someone who is proactive, energetic, analytic, good at time management, and motivated to grow the organisation with us.
We currently offer the possibility to do an internship on Lesvos, in Athens or in Ioannina; however, our office is however based in Athens, so this is the most regular place to do an internship.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to support a growing organisation.
- Experience working for a non-profit organisation from the inside and the opportunity to be involved in the different aspects of the organisation.
- To be part of an amazing community.
- A position where you support each other through sports (and the possibility to do a lot of sports).
- Support developing your analytic, writing, researching and networking skills.
- A diverse workplace with people from many different countries and backgrounds.
- A learning environment where we take the development of our people very seriously.
What we are looking for:
- A minimum age of 21 years
- A minimum commitment of 3 months on the ground
- Proficiency in English writing and speaking
- Great organisational and time management skills
- Someone who can work independently, who is eager to learn and is not afraid to take up new tasks
- Someone with a flexible approach and able to adapt to different situations
- Ability to take initiative
- A tendency to think critically.
- The right to work in Greece as we are unable to sponsor a visa.
Experience with the following is desirable, but not essential:
- Working with NGOs.
- Administrative work
- Event organising
- Academic research
YSR strongly encourages qualified people with a refugee background to apply. We seek to ensure that everyone is given equal opportunities.
Safeguarding, Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in our organisation, and you will be required to understand, train and comply with our safeguarding policy and supporting documents.
YSR does not provide housing or financial support for intern positions.
How to apply
If you are interested, please send your CV and motivation letter to [email protected] .