The Boma Project
Job Title: Incentive Mentor LIFT NK- Kakuma
Reports to: Field Officer (FO) – LIFT
Job titles of persons supervised: N/A
Duration: One (1) Year Renewable
Job Location: Kakuma 3, Zone 1
BOMA is working to lift 3 million people out of extreme poverty by 2027. BOMA’s mission is to provide the people and governments of Africa’s drylands with economic inclusion programs that increase resilience to multiple crises. Founded 15 years ago to eliminate extreme poverty among pastoralist women in Kenya, BOMA has since transformed the lives of more than 350,000 women, youth and refugees in East Africa. BOMA stands out for its focus on last mile populations of the drylands of Africa, who are most at risk to shocks from climate change and COVID-19, tech savvy and data driven approach, impressive graduation rate and 99% local structure based in Africa.
Find out more about BOMA by visiting their website
2.ABOUT THE PROGRAM
BOMA is currently seeking qualified candidates for mentor position for the newly awarded Livelihoods and Inclusion for Transformation (LIFT) Northern Kenya project. The Livelihoods and Inclusion for Transformation (LIFT) Northern Kenya project will implement a climate crisis-adapted “green” version of The BOMA Project’s proven poverty graduation model, the Rural Entrepreneur Access Project (REAP) to provide market-based pull by facilitating more competitive, profitable Green Enterprises for women, youth, and refugees within the forest ecosystems in Marsabit, Samburu and Turkana counties and in Kakuma and Kalobeyei Refugee Settlements over a period of 3 years. BOMA will be the Lead partner of the project and will collaborate with Danish Church Aid (DCA) and Smart Regional Consultants (SRC) in implementing the project.
3.TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the LIFT Rural Entrepreneur Access Project (REAP), that will help participants start businesses to uplift their living standards and ensure environmental conservation.
- Provide mentoring to the agreed number of small business enterprises under the REAP – LIFT Programme.
- In a collaborative process with the community and BOMA Location Committees, target and identify eligible women for the REAP – LIFT Programme, based on BOMA’s criteria – (using the Participatory Wealth Ranking and Participatory Rural Appraisal Tools)
- Meet with established Business Groups (BGs) as required, help them make decisions about their business and provide mentorship and guidance as needed.
- Conduct/deliver business and savings skills trainings including financial management to the businesses in the designated locations and surrounding manyattas.
- Train and mentor, the Business Groups, green entrepreneurship, climate change adaptation, climate-smart technologies.
- Support the mentors to ensure entrepreneurs succeed in production, trade, and value addition based on the green enterprises.
- Perform a minimum of agreed visits per week to the business groups and savings groups for which you are responsible.
- Collect data and information for individuals, business group performance, participation of BG members in savings groups, savings group performance, participants living standards, participation in climate change adaptations, and other relevant information.
- Upload quality data and information on groups performance using the BOMA taroworks system (information management technology) as required.
- Report on the businesses and savings groups’ performances to the Field Officer.
- Represent BOMA in the designated location, including as a representative for the organization in local development committees.
4.QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least a Diploma in community development, social work or another related discipline.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in similar work.
- Proven experience in data collection and or mentorship is an added advantage.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills; candidates should be able to relate well to both the women with whom we work, and the BOMA Field Officer.
- Be self-driven, and able to work with minimal staff supervision.
- Must be a native of the respective location you are applying for with working knowledge of English, Swahili and the local language.
- Strongly encouraged – Have a valid motorcycle license and experience on how to ride a motorcycle or (at least willingness to present a motorcycle license within the first 3 months of employment).
How to apply
This is a full-time position with BOMA Project based in Kakuma 3, Zone 1
Interested and suitable qualified candidates to submit their application, through BOMA’s recruitment portal on FlairHR using this link LIFT NK Incentive Mentor Kakuma 3 Zone 1 – BOMA Career Portal (flair.hr)
Please ensure you have listed your EXACT Location while making your application.
Applications must be received by 20th February 2024. Late applications will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants for expressing interest in the role, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 20 Feb 2024