Amref Health Africa
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organization based in Africa. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health. Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by increasing sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health, health service delivery, and investments in health. Our Vision is Lasting Health Change in Africa. For more on Amref Health Africa please visit www.amref.org
Amref Health Africa in South Sudan is seeking to hire Qualified, Competent, and Vibrant South Sudan Nationals to fill the following position.
Position: Human Resources and Operations Manager
Country Office: South Sudan
Duty Station: Juba, With Frequent Visits to the Field Offices
Job Opening Number: 2022-HR-OPs-Juba
Role of the incumbent:
Under the direct supervision of the Country Manager, The Human Resources and Operations Manager provides strategic leadership in Human Resources Management, Administration and Procurement. Serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team. Works closely with the Human Resources Business Partner in developing, Customizing and implementing the global HR and Procurement policies and processes at country level. Functions as the board secretary for the HR and Administration committee.
1. Human Resources Management (50%)
a. HR Strategy
- Contextualize and implement the global HR strategy and ensure alignment with the Country Strategy.
- In collaboration with the Country Manager, lead the development of staffing and recruitment plan to ensure that each team is staffed appropriately, according to need and funding availability, in an efficient and timely manner.
- Lead the regular review of country office roll out of HR policies, employment policies and procedures in compliance to amref global standards and evolving national labor law.
- Ensure the consistent implementation of HR and administration policies and procedures across the country program.
- Act as an expert advisor to managers and staff regarding policies and procedures
b. Strategic Workforce/Talent Planning, Acquisition, Management, and Employment:
- Facilitate quality talent acquisition in a timely manner; deploying appropriate tools and approaches that ensure identification of best fit candidates
- Develop, implement, and evaluate sourcing, recruitment, hiring, orientation, succession planning, retention, and organizational exit programs necessary to ensure the workforce’s ability to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives in South Sudan Country Office.
- Ensure staff hiring is conducted efficiently and in compliance with Amref policies and national labor law.
- Ensure a transparent, timely, efficient and safe recruitment process.
- In consultation with finance and country management team determine salaries for selected candidates and prepare employment offer.
- Ensure pre-employment requirements are submitted and personnel file with documentation according to HR checklist is opened for new staff on a timely basis.
- Ensure that all staff have undergone all required orientation programme.
- Maintain and regularly update HR Directory with staff details.
- Ensure that country organogram and job descriptions are based on efficient processes; all employee job profiles are aligned with business imperatives for success in the short-, medium- and long-term.
- Support deployment of HR recruitment portal to streamline application and selection process, regularly updating the application with relevant information and data, generate reports for country management team and hiring managers.
c. Performance Management:
- Implement robust process for assigning accountability for results, setting of quality SMART’, deepening performance culture and building capacity in line managers.
- Monitor the evaluation processes at all stages and ensure that staff and supervisors complete the review process in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance to supervisors as they complete evaluations, help supervisors find effective coaching methods that work for specific issues including identifying areas of poor performance and assisting supervisors to establish plans for improving performance (PIPS), be present during review meetings when necessary.
- Provide ongoing support to iLead users, including responding to various inquiries raised by different employees, during a performance cycle.
- Guide effective talent management through robust talent mapping and development of staff that builds Amref’s bench strength and pipeline of future leaders.
d. Organisational Culture
- Promote organizational culture (increase enablers & reduce disablers) for successful execution of the strategic plan
- Ensure planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and drive employee productivity; scheduling management conferences with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; counselling employees and supervisors
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary. Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Liaise with peer agency HR staff as well as other RI country HR teams to share knowledge and practices that add value to the HR function and ways to strengthen team management processes.
- Promotes and shapes organisational culture by encouraging participation and contribution across the various facets of the organisation.
- Supports the change processes, providing insight and vision on how to enable change and create process improvements.
e. Training and development:
- Develop and deploy programmes to build Amref’ s technical and leadership competencies that contribute to quality work outcomes
- Develop, implement, and evaluate activities and programs that address employee training and development, to ensure that the knowledge, skills, abilities, and performance of the workforce meet current and future organizational and individual needs.
- In collaboration with the talent management develop and implement capacity building initiatives and motivate staff to participate.
- Develop professional development plan for South Sudan staff utilizing various free and paid-for options, based on best practices in International non-governmental organizations.
- Provide training, support and advice to local HR staff.
f. Employee Relations
- Help maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages open, honest and productive communication.
- Ensure the timely processing of new contract, contract extension, staff transfer, promotions and other change of status.
- Manage processes related to disciplinary actions, staff separation, and termination.
- Respond to employee related queries and provide services to all HR related inquiries and requests.
- Conduct periodic office climate assessments and advise management as appropriate on appropriate solutions and achievement of high levels of employee morale, commitment and performance.
- Keep Employee Manual updated and constantly communicate it, along with other HR policies to staff.
- Make sure that employees’ files are auditable at all times as per Amref standards and any relevant donors’ requirements.
- Ensure compliance to Amref policies, procedures, systems and donor regulations as well as ensuring correctness of necessary documentation such as timesheets, leave forms, payrolls and exit interviews.
g. Compensation, benefits and performance evaluation
- Monitor industry salary and benefit levels and movements and recommend adjustments to ensure fair and equitable rewards package that is in line with the amref standards and principles.
- Conduct periodic salary review and analysis, review and revision of new salary structure, as appropriate.
- Advise on best practices on income tax, incentive pay, and retirement/severance benefits in accordance with the law in South Sudan.
- Ensure the timely and efficient payroll preparation for accurate data on donor code, number of days, benefits.
- Ensure the proper and accurate tracking of leave.
- Review compensation and benefits package on regular interval in collaboration with country management team.
- Support deployment of HR payroll application and maintenance of the application, regularly update the application with relevant information and data, generate reports for country management team.
2. Administration and Procurement (40%)
- Develop, implement and manage administrative systems, policies and procedures; Spearhead the implementation of the internal recoveries in a complete, accurate and timely manner
- Provide leadership and supervise all aspects of the supply chain including procurement, stores and disposal of obsolete assets; Spearhead the development of procurement plans, Strategic sourcing and effective contracts management and payment systems**;**
- Provide leadership in the design, review and implementation of Fleet management policies and procedures; Safeguard and ascertain that an effective fuel, vehicle repairs and maintenance monitoring system is established to promote efficiency and effectiveness in vehicles and motorcycle use. Ensure adherence to the set transport policies and procedures.
Safeguarding, Safety and Security
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Uphold and promote Amref’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the staff and vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with Amref’s safeguarding policies, ensure all people who come into contact with Amref staff are as safe as possible.
- Establish, manage and update security guidelines, policies and procedures;
- Provide overall oversight on safety and security for staff and Assets to minimize risk and vulnerability at all times;
C. Reporting (10%)
- Prepare and submit Country quarterly, semi-annual and annual Human Resources and operations implementation reports based on agreed priority areas, work plans to the Country Manager and Human Resources Business Partner.
Qualification, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business studies from an accredited university; and
- Certification as a HR professional or Higher Diploma in Human Resources
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, human resources management, social sciences, education, organizational psychology will be an added advantage
- Minimum of Five (5) years of experience managing, Human Resources, Procurement, Administration, Logistics in an international NGO.
- Demonstrated experience supervising a diverse team.
- Experience in managing donor funded procurements and subcontracts/grants.
- Experience working in fragile states.
- Demonstrated Knowledge on human resources, Procurement and administration issues;
- In-depth Knowledge of employment and South Sudan Labour law,
- Experience with human resources systems and management in an international setting is desirable.
- Experience working in a in a conflict or post-conflict fragile setting is desirable.
- Experience with human resources systems (HRIS) is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working understanding of human resource principles, practices and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Good computer skills, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Highly organized, attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities.
- Demonstrated coaching skills, with an ability to inspire, influence and motivate teams.
For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Qualified and experienced female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please visit our website **https://amref.org/vacancies/** to submit your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include an updated CV including three work related referees and a cover letter addressed to the Human Resource Business Partner, Amref Health Africa.
The closing date for submitting applications is June 30, 2022.
This position will be recruited on a rolling basis
Amref Health Africa is committed to the principles of safeguarding at the workplace and does not tolerate any form of abuse, discrimination or harassment.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity and has a non-smoking environment policy