Position: Head of Program
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Salary: As per ActionAid Salary scale
Closing date: 12:00 AA – 24 Feb 2024
ActionAid is an international organisation, working with over 25 million people in more than 40 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice. ActionAid in Afghanistan is part of the ActionAid International Federation and is one of ActionAid’s programmes and is working in Afghanistan since 2003.
It is a senior leadership role in the country operation reporting to Country Director. It is expected to lead, develop and manage the program team to achieve the aspirations of ActionAid Afghanistan (AAA) Country Strategy 2018-2023 through Programme Development, effective coordination, consolidation, technical support and guidance by ensuring a cohesive team spirit and motivation to perform. He/she manages and ensures prioritization and allocation, work plan coherence to deliver the ActionAid Afghanistan Country Strategy. This role is responsible for working with AAA Partners and Allies to foster long-term relationship to successfully deliver AAA program strategy.
- Provide leadership in the development of strategic plans and budgets for all programs in the country.
- Provide leadership to the Programme Team towards achieving the objectives of the Country Strategy of ActionAid Afghanistan.
- Review and ensure alignment of program priorities, strategies and plans to the CSP and the broader ActionAid International strategies, plans and campaigns.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team to lead the development of both strategic and operational plans in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and planning guidelines.
- Ensure ActionAid Afghanistan’s programme activities are grounded, strongly inter linked, and consolidated at the national level in line with ActionAid Afghanistan’s CSP.
- Ensure quality implementation of all projects of ActionAid Afghanistan
- Ensure learning are documented by the programme team in the most effective way demonstrating value for money.
- Support the Country Director, in developing and managing relationship with in-country donors.
- Lead on development of programme ideas into quality grant proposals through a community based, participatory approach.
- Collaborate with the ActionAid International Business Development Units to respond to potential funding opportunities in the country.
- Ensure close monitoring of the program works in the field to ensure alignment and contribution to country strategy, monitor flow of information and systemic documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field and lessons learned thereof.
- Ensure quality and timely submission of quarterly and annual or required Programme and Project Performance Reports as per desired standards and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of approved Programme and Project plans.
- Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives.
- Represent the organization / Unit in various programme-related knowledge sharing and learning forums, document and share feedback with the team.
- Track trends in contemporary development programming and programme management practices, document and provide advice/ recommendations on key developments to SMT/EMT.
- Support Program Managers to strengthen networks in the ActionAid Afghanistan’s collaboration areas.
- Provide support to the networks for building capacity of the member organisations.
- Support the Programme Managers in strengthening our relationship with the strategic networks and alliances.
- Represent ActionAid Afghanistan and participate in network and alliance meetings, events and forums at national and international levels.
- Ensure effective information flow and communication with other stakeholders including partners and international teams.
- Initiate and nurture networks and alliances with academia, and research institutions
- Ensure effective partnerships at all levels as per standard procedures and guidelines of the organization.
- Coordinate and support review of ActionAid Afghanistan partnerships.
- Ensure follow up of partners after reviews and reflections.
- Develop, monitor, review and update the Programme department activity, work plan to ensure that it attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Review and approve programme concepts, partner financial requests as per organizational process and procedures.
- Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to program department.
- Review programme expenditures from the programme team line staff to ensure conformity to Financial Policies and Procedures Manual (FPPM).
- Monitor and advise on programme and project spending and variance report as per organizational process and procedures.
- Lead and manage program team to achieve its mandated targets in accordance to annual operational plans
- Ensure an empowering work environment and team building in compliance to the values, principles and attitude of both ActionAid International and ActionAid Afghanistan.
- Ensure an enabling environment for staff performance, recognition and reward of the program team to encourage staff productivity, innovation and performance (e.g. facilities, equipment, duty facilitation, team building etc.).
- Participate in the review of staff job descriptions and setting of performance standard.
- Involves in recruitment of staff under supervision of HR.
- Assigns performance objectives to supervised staff, conducts comprehensive performance appraisal of supervised staff and provides / obtains feedback when necessary.
- Ensure that performance records of staff under supervision are submitted to HR on time
- Provides induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice to supervised staff to ensure that they understand and carry out their responsibilities effectively.
Who we are looking for:
A bachelor’s degree in management, Social Science, or development studies, (Postgraduate in a relevant discipline is preferred). Training in Project planning and management, Human Rights Based Approach, Participatory approaches and methodologies, Governance, Civic empowerment, and accountability, Monitoring and evaluation.
A Minimum of 7-10 years relevant experience for Postgraduate and 7 years for Graduate in a reputed INGO, 3 years of which should be in senior management positions, experience of working in a multi-cultural context essential.
Experience in designing, setting up and coordinating monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment systems and processes of a program are required.
Experience in managing funding from a diversity of sources including governments and aid agencies, private sector donors. Proven experience of working with government agencies and research institutes.
Proven experience working in conflict and post conflict contexts essential esp. leading large multi-locational teams.
Essential Knowledge: In-depth understanding of Human Rights Based Approach to Development and programming issues and policy work at state, national and international levels esp. in conflict and post-conflict scenario.
Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated understanding of gender issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equality within the organisation and in programme work.
Leadership and management
Excellent presentation, communications, and negotiation
Networking, influencing and interpersonal.
Crisis management and conflict resolution.
Planning, organisation, time management, and coordination
Work under pressure and tight deadlines
How to apply
How to apply:
If you have the expertise to take on this exciting opportunity, please apply online by sending your CV and motivation cover letter to [email protected] by 12:00 AM Kabul Time on 24 Feb 2024. Please clearly indicate Head of Program-Kabul-1034 in the subject of your email. Due to the urgency in filling in the position, ActionAid Afghanistan will review the applications on an ongoing basis, thus applicants are strongly advised to make applications at the earliest.
ActionAid International welcomes applications from all sections of the community and promotes diversity. Although all applications will be considered on their individual merit**, suitably qualified national candidates, especially women are especially encouraged to apply.**
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. ActionAid International will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.