UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Title: Goodwill Ambassador Team – Intern
Duty Station: London, UK
Duration: 6 months, Monday 8th April – Friday 11th October 2024
Contract Type: Internship
Based within the Division for External Relations, the Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Section seeks to utilise celebrity and high profile support to leverage the strategic communications, fundraising and advocacy goals of UNHCR.
Based in UNHCR’s offices in London, England, this is a unique opportunity to gain experience within the UN system as part of UNHCR’s Division of External Relations, specifically working within the Goodwill Ambassador team. The role will provide insight and experience in communication and relationship management functions involving high profile supporters and digital influencers, as well as administration and team support within the context of an international humanitarian organisation. The role will work in partnership with the other intern within the team, supporting officers with the preparation, organisation and coordination of various projects such as World Refugee Day and the Nansen Refugee Award, as well as providing more general support to the team in terms of administrative & meeting support, preparation of reports and presentations, and content management. Social media plays a significant role in the team’s work and an aptitude and interest in this area will be an advantage. One internship will also take more of a focus on sports related supporters, so a demonstrated interest in sport and sports media would be desirable.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties will be drawn from the following:
• Assisting with the planning, execution and follow-up of projects, campaigns and missions, including participating in relevant meetings and helping to organise travel arrangements.
• Supporting event management, including liaising with various partners, organising logistics and prospecting.
• Support with storing and managing photo and video assets and managing approvals processes
• Support with website edits
• Preparing, drafting and formatting documents and presentations as required
• Online research relating to celebrity supporters and prospects
• Supporting social media initiatives relating to celebrity supporters
• Management of email, filing, and administrative duties as required
• Complete ad-hoc tasks as assigned by colleagues and senior staff, including meeting support
• Helping to draft creative pitch decks for relevant campaigns
• Helping with media lists and pitching where required
• Producing daily updates on relevant celebrity social media and digital activities
• Media monitoring/social listening to identify trends
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• You must be a recent graduate in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO.
• You must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the organisation.
Required skills & Competencies
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are essential
• Demonstrable experience with online research and interest in media, social media and communications industry
• Eye for a good story
• Strong team player
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic administrative skills
• Knowledge of digital media, content management systems or other web based applications
• Flexibility, organisational skills, ability to work quickly under pressure and juggle multiple tasks essential
• A proactive approach to work with a proven ability to work independently and problem solve
• Background or interest in refugee issues and/or international relations welcome
• An interest in sports, music and social media desirable.
• An interest in the arts, influencers, sports, music and social media desirable.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in London, UK. Full time in the London Branch Office (10 Furnival street, London EC4A 1AB), with occasionally working from home where required.
• It is a full-time role. (09:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday)
• An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship.
• As the given duty station is London, applicants should be able to demonstrate permission to reside and legally work in the UK at the point of application and ongoing, without the need for sponsorship. UNHCR is unfortunately unable to assist with any work visa applications/issues/sponsorship.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
How to apply