We are currently looking for a GIS Officer to support the implementation of REACH’s Damage Impact Analysis research cycle. This role involves supporting the assessment team in the collection and management of spatial datasets, and the development of maps for REACH and its partners.
REACH Initiative is a unique humanitarian NGO, which provides research, data, and analysis to support more effective humanitarian intervention in crisis contexts. By providing precise and rigorous information on the humanitarian situation of crisis-affected populations in Ukraine, REACH informs better aid delivery and more transparent and reliable decision making. In Ukraine, REACH is hosted by our sister organisation, ACTED.
Present in Ukraine since 2014, REACH has scaled up its activities following the escalation of the conflict in February 2022. REACH is working across the country to provide humanitarian actors with rigorous data and in-depth analysis to ensure aid interventions are timely, appropriate, and relevant. As part of this, the Humanitarian Infrastructure and Damage Unit (HIDU) analyses the short- and long-term humanitarian impact of conflict-related damage to the built and natural environments, identifies and tackles knowledge gaps, and supports the humanitarian community and national authorities in addressing the immediate consequences of the conflict and informing a sustainable and climate-sensitive recovery.
REACH is seeking an experienced GIS Officer (GISO) within this Unit to support the assessment of damage to the built environment (residential and public service infrastructure) and promote an understanding of its impact on communities in Ukraine’s conflict-affected areas. The GISO will support the development of maps for REACH and its partners, and support the assessment team in the collection and management of spatial datasets, verification, cleaning, and updating of the collected data. The GISO will also support the development of working relationships with REACH’s stakeholders and partners.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent professional experience in GIS, Cartography, Geodesy, Geography, Computer Science, Information Systems or any relevant discipline
- 1-2 years of experience in GIS field, preferably in humanitarian context is an asset;
- Presence of any relevant portfolio (GitHub account, web based-dashboard, OSM mapper profile, published maps) is a strong asset;
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development and optimization;
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities;
- Ability to work independently;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Experience in international team is an asset
- Ability to learn new concepts/build technical skills quickly
- Official employment according to Ukrainian legislation;
- Competitive official salary defined by the ACTED salary grid;
- Regular performance evaluation and salary increase;
- 28 working days of paid vacation per year;
- Friendly international team of professionals;
- Cozy office in the central part of the city;
- Flexible working hours;
- Career development possibilities;
How to apply
This vacancy is for national staff only. Applications only in English should be submitted via email [email protected] with the title or reference of the position (CV without mentioned position will not be considered). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. ACTED is an equal opportunity employer.