International Development Law Organization
The Department of Programmes is responsible for the overall management and coordination of IDLO’s programme development, delivery and reporting. The Department ensures implementation of IDLO’s global programme portfolio through country (project) offices or from Headquarters or other locations, in line with the organizational strategy. It actively participates in programme design and development in coordination with the relevant country offices and Departments, and contributes to driving the programme lifecycle to promote innovation, learning, thought leadership, and quality in IDLO’s work; coordinates and supports monitoring, compliance, quality control, and reporting; engages stakeholders and donors in the implementation of IDLO’s work in order to maintain and build IDLO’s profile and relationships, in collaboration with other functional areas within the Organization. It supports the capacity development function of IDLO’s programmes. It manages systems and databases to ensure project compliance on deliverables and donor reporting; provides administrative and logistical support for the implementation of IDLO’s programme portfolio.
Reporting directly to the Director-General, the Director, Programmes is responsible for leading the development of innovative and high-quality programmes overseeing the Programmes Department in Headquarters and ensuring strategic guidance of all IDLO’s country programmes. He/she will be expected to:
- Lead the development of IDLO’s programmes, in close coordination with other Departments and thematic experts, oversee their timely and effective management and implementation, and ensure that a coherent strategy is in place to integrate the different programme/thematic areas and advance IDLO’s work in rule of law;
- Ensure that IDLO’s programming integrates IDLO’s cross-cutting priorities and competencies (e.g. gender, human rights, capacity development etc.) as well as the organizational values and lessons learnt to maintain the distinct IDLO programming brand;
- Supervise personnel within the Programmes Department including Regional and Thematic Programme Managers, as well as other Units.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to IDLO’s Country managers to advance programmes, government relations and partnerships in line with the goals and objectives of IDLO’s Strategic and Management Plans;
- Coordinate efforts, in line with best practices, to develop key performance indicators and metrics for success and hold managers accountable for meeting such targets; as well as knowledge-gathering and management to enable validation or re-examination of IDLO’s approach to delivering successful programmes and projects;
- Lead, design, and manage internal work processes, instituting work plans and timelines; coordinate and monitor use of internal resources, ensuring appropriate compliance and reporting;
- Lead, design and manage the implementation and monitoring of Country Strategies and relevant Thematic Strategies and Programmes;
- Collaborate closely with the Strategy and Policy Planning Unit and External Relations and Partnerships Department to ensure the Organization is disseminating the most informative and accurate messaging concerning its activities; act as a key spokesperson of the Organization in this regard;
- Represent IDLO in external events and with external stakeholders (e.g. governments, development partners, civil society, etc.) to advocate IDLO’s policies and positions on rule of law issues;
- Support the Director-General in her accountability to the IDLO’s governing bodies, by ensuring appropriate and timely contributions to reports and meetings, as requested;
- Support the Director-General, and work in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, to engage the donor community and funding partners with a view to enhancing IDLO’s political and financial support;
- Build institutional relationships/partnerships and expand networks of collaboration that positions the IDLO as an established and trusted partner in international development and as a critical contributor to the area of rule of law;
- Serve as a member of the IDLO Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the shaping, defining and implementing IDLO’s vision and strategy;
- Effectively lead staff by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support staff with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting;
- Develop and oversee the implementation of an annual programme of work and budget for the Department.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced university degree in International Relations, International Law, Political Science, Social Sciences, International Development or related field;
- Minimum 15 years of experience in relevant senior positions of increasing scope and responsibility in Programme Development, Programme Management in the Rule of Law sector, peacebuilding, human rights and development or related sectors;
- Proven field experience in progressive leadership roles, as well as extensive knowledge of intergovernmental organizations, international NGOs and bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Successful experience in senior leadership roles at Headquarters level;
- Strong international development credentials and demonstrated committed to the rule of law;
- Highly networked to drive resource mobilization as well as international programme development and expansion;
- Relevant experience and gravitas to be able to work with officials at a senior level in development partner organizations governments and other stakeholders;
- Outstanding written and verbal skills in English. Fluency in other current working languages (French or Spanish) would be highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Technical Competencies
- Strong people skills: Is accessible, acts as a role model and provides constructive feedback and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to learn, share knowledge, experiences and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down and across) to develop and motivate others.
- Collaborative approach: Works well with others and actively participates in building and leading teams across the organization, using participatory and inclusive approaches. Shares information, contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities.
- Strong commitment to gender equality, cultural diversity and inclusive approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with standard programme and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT and internet software.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel including to hostile environments, if necessary.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate and values.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited position, IDLO will offer the selected candidate a Professional Fixed-Term Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding, at an annual basic salary of EUR €123,392 a comprehensive leave and benefit package, including home leave, provident fund, and health insurance in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
Applications will be screened on a regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
How to apply
Apply on the following link Director, Programmes | IDLO – International Development Law Organization (impactpool.org)