Save the Children
The post holder maintains an effective safety and security management system and ensure that all Save the Children minimum operating safety and security standards is in place at all time in all SCI Operational areas. This will include the ongoing assessment of threats and risk to SCI program/staff and provision of advice to Management to manage organization risk.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our mandate and values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and enables frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
* Help design and implement a coherent organizational S&S structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to enabling programme needs
* Ensure Afghanistan Country Office (CO) complies with all Save the Children S&S Minimum Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
* Ensure that all required directions and support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, working closely with the Country Director and Regional Office (RO)
* Provide direction & support to the Incident Management Team (IMT) for security-related crisis, in the absence of the CD to be prepared to chair
* Provide CO direction &support to any Crisis Management Team (CMT) supporting the RO and Centre HQ as required
* Ensure the Safety and Secrity Strategy, Framework and Policies and Procedures are being applied in the Afghanistan CO
* Develop and maintain a country-wide Safety and Security Management Plan that is consistent with the acceptance model but taking into account local realities and Save the Children standards
* Ensure that all staff understand the country-wide security plan and agree to abide by its policies and procedures
* Monitor the security environment and adjust security policies and procedures accordingly
* Ensure quality and relevance of area/field security plans
* Undertake reviews of policies and procedures; identify opportunities to enhance security
Assessment and analysis
* Develop triggers for escalation of security protocols, as well as de-escalation providing relevant information to decision makers on the Afghanistan SMT
* Ensure that Security Risk Assessments (SRA’s) an in place for all program locations and project activities in Afghanistan are conducted.
* Oversee the evaluation and implementation of actions to reduce risk across the Afghanistan country program including during program design.
* Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by staff and distributed to Country Office and Region Office
* Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations
* Provide security update, which includes situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended, to the Senior Management Team on a regular basis
* Submit written reports and verbal presentations to the SMT and regional management
* Provide informed recommendations in the context of security assessments and reviews
* Assess application of security policies and level of vulnerability of facilities; recommend changes to enhance security
* Monitor and provide support to departmental working practices within context of safety and security risks, and alert the Country Director if inappropriate decisions are impacting on the safety and security of the team or external perception of the organization, thereby creating security risks
Enabling Programme Operations
* Provide direct oversight and management of safe movement of staff, e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communications equipment in vehicles, and training of drivers in established procedures and requisite skills
* Engage Emergency Response management and staff as well as staff at all levels to facilitate the adoption and compliance with the Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards
* Assist with programme proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security needs and inclusion of safety and security costs
* Undertake security assessments of and field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements
* Provide safety and security support and advice to area and field managers
* Promote the need for each Field Base to appoint a Field Security Officer/Coordinator reporting to the Field/Regional Manager and dotted to the Director for Safety and Security and advice on the minimum training standards for each officer dependent upon the country level of insecurity. The Director will play a key role in building the capacity of each SFP consistent with the assessed need for each programme.
Communication and training
* Liaise on a regular basis with UN, INSO, government, diplomatic and consular officials and where possible community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information
* Coordinate the gathering and flow of security information with other relevant actors; classify security information according to its reliability and accuracy
* Participate in formal or informal NGO security networks/forums in the area to share information with other NGOs, and gain access to security analyses (if available), support the functioning of this forum.
* Maintain and review incident reporting and mapping system; ensure that up to date incident maps are available for all SC staff on a regular basis
* Ensure that appropriate systems are in place to effectively disseminate security information and updates of the security system to staff
* Coordinate and manage the proper use of telecommunications systems and alert the CD and DCD of Programme Operations to any hardware systems failures
* Ensure that regular security meetings are conducted with relevant staff
* Develop and implement security training plan for all staff; develop and apply evaluation processes to determine whether training competencies are met
* Facilitate security management training with staff in the country office and at project locations
* Build capacity of security focal points to conduct threat assessments and security briefings for visitors
* Provide recommendations to staff as to ways in which they can effectively reach out to, gain acceptance from and improve their image in host communities
* Develop security briefing materials and provide orientation for incoming or newly appointed staff
* Provide Critical Incident and Crisis Management training to SMT members
Budgeting for Safety and Security
* Proactively be engaged in budgeting, feeding in to budget and proposal development.
* Make sure all programmes have adequate funding for security, and approach donors as required.
* Sign off proposals as part of the Go/No Go process.
* The post-holder will also comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field or at least 3-5 years comparable related experience.
* Minimum 4 years progressive non-profit work experience with international humanitarian assistance program/s.
* Minimum 3 years security management experience in international humanitarian, military or police setting.
* Advanced level understanding of communications technologies.
* Ability to analyse information and make quick, informed decisions.
* Ability to build and manage relationships with staff, community, government, military, NGOs.
* Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Effective people management skills.
* Strong training skills.
* Flexible and work well under pressure.
* Demonstrated ability to grain credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an
* Team building skills.
* Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly MS Office.
* Ability to work in challenging and complex environments.
* A commitment to the values and principles of Save the Children.
* High level of commitment to the principles of development and to the organizational and programmatic goals of Save the Children.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
Closing Date for Application: 2 July 2022
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ZmsuMTIwNjAuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t