In 2021 in the city of Tijuana, DIME together with USCRI established the U.S. Mexico Border Program (USMBP), which in partnership with institutions of higher education coordinates and trains authorities and other relevant actors on immigration issues. It also offers legal advice and representation to people in the context of mobility in order to guarantee the rights of individuals and safe migration on the U.S.-Mexico border.
The person in charge of this position will be responsible for supervising a team for the implementation of the U.S. Mexico Border Program, which is an initiative carried out in partnership with the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) that forges partnerships with institutions of higher education and provides coordination and training on migration issues to authorized agencies and other stakeholders.
In addition, the program provides legal advice and representation to individuals in the context of mobility, with the objective of ensuring the protection of their rights and safe migration in the U.S.-Mexico border area.
Main functions and responsibilities
- Coordinate the activities and specific objectives of each project that integrates U.S.M.B.P. (FOCAL and Border Legal Clinic).
- Establish collaboration agreements with the main institutions of higher education in the state.
- Establish and maintain coordination with municipal, state, federal and U.S. authorities in order to carry out actions and projects that facilitate and promote a regular and orderly migration.
- Maintain good communication with all program partners, program management and other members of the organization.
- Oversee the implementation of the university mobilization program ensuring its cyclical operation.
- Provide legal support and advice to all areas of the organization.
- Oversee the legal defense and representation of U.S.M.B.P. beneficiaries.
- Coordinate amparo litigation and representation.
- Monitor the situation of the migrant and refugee community in shelters.
- Coordinate inter-institutional visits.
- Oversee the development and publication of the “USCRI newsletter”.
- Develop regular reports of activities and achievements according to the guidelines and formats established by the organization.
- Oversee compliance with the provisions of the human resources manual, internal regulations and administrative procedures.
- All others necessary for the fulfillment of their duties.
- Oversee the proper implementation of training programs in immigration matters.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the U.S.M.B.P. team in order to keep them motivated, train them, follow up on their activities and particular situations while maintaining a favorable working environment.
Education and experience
- Law degree (degree required)
- Professional license duly registered with the Judicial Power of the Federation.
- Master’s degree desirable
- At least 3 years of experience working with people in mobility context.
- Experience in refugee status recognition procedures.
- Litigation experience in amparo and administrative matters.
- Previous experience in community work and/or working with vulnerable populations.
- Experience in team management
- Fluency in Spanish and English (B2 level or higher is required)
- French Creole or Portuguese will be considered as an advantage.
- Team player
- Focused on results
- Transparency and accountability
- Good time management
- Assertive communication
- Sensitivity to other cultures
How to apply
The candidate should send his/her CV with a maximum of two pages in length, including in his/her application three work references (indicating name, position, telephone and e-mail of the supervisor), together with a letter of motivation of a maximum of one page in length, to the following e-mail: [email protected] indicating in the subject line the name of the vacancy; “Coordination of U.S.Mexico Border Program”.
Deadline: 29 Feb 2024