International Organization for Migration
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centered around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI core-pipelines, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition and development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community-based violence reduction, community development and migration management.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator – Migration Management Unit (MMU), South Sudan in collaboration with the National Program Officer – Migration Management Unit (MMU) in Juba, the Community Policing Specialist will provide specialized technical and administrative assistance in the implementation of community policing programming in IOM South Sudan. The community policing programming is aiming at achieving improved community resilience in responding to human security risks through strengthened individual and institutional capacities South Sudan National Police Service (SSNPS) and mutually beneficial relationships between communities and law enforcement at the border region and to lay foundations for sustainable development. The project officer is responsible for the planning and implementing of the community policing programming. Among which to design capacity building plan that will allow positive and meaningful interaction between communities and their law enforcement agencies.
About Migration Management Unit: IOM through its Migration Management Unit, provides technical assistance to the government of South Sudan on migration management guided by Comprehensive Migration Policy Proposal. A policy proposal that provides critical responses guided by global principles to achieve Sustainable Development Goal and to meet commitments set forth in the Global Compact on Migration. This policy proposal works within four pillar of migration governance, namely; Free Movement and Border Management, Facilitating Labor Migration, Addressing Forced Migration; and Promoting Migration and Development. IOM works closely with the government, humanitarian and development partners, and migrants to improve migration management. IOM offers policy guidance, supports institutional and individual capacity development and ensure migrants’ well-beings and protection.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Core Thematic Areas
- Develop strategic approaches to community engagement to support the overall community stabilization portfolio of IOM South Sudan.
- Conduct community participation assessments which include desk reviews of online and offline sources, conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders, analyze the collected data and draft an assessment report.
- Develop relevant thematic training modules, SOP i.e. community policing, community engagement, and other relevant topics including development of theory of change tools to document the outcome of the trainings.
- Conduct trainings for beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Design capacity building programming on community policing
- Provide support to community policing directorate on community policing programming.
Project management & Development
- Develop the project work plan in coordination with key partners and ensure timely and effective implementation of project activities.
- Identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of outputs.
- Develop and maintain strong liaison with project partners and stakeholders, including relevant government authorities, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, and identify and develop synergies with other projects.
- Establish a system to collect and manage project data for monitoring and evaluation purposes. This includes development of project monitoring plan.
- Undertake regular travel relating to the project, including for consultations and briefings with internal and external counterparts.
- Represent IOM at meetings and conferences relevant to the project in South Sudan and abroad as authorized and in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Undertakes duty travels related to project implementation.
- Plan and organize project activities such as trips, visits, workshops and seminars in and outside South Sudan.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law, and business administration with 5 years of experience
- Professional experience in project coordination or project implementation in international donor funded projects an added advantage;
- Experience in drafting project documents and reports;
- Work experience in IOM, a UN agency, non-governmental organization, international organization or relevant government department is an added advantage.
- Extensive experience in liaison and cooperation with governmental authorities and UN partners is required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English;
- Good level of computer literacy, including database applications
Excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic
Other Local language will be an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
How to apply
Interested candidates are required to submit their motivation letter and Curriculum Vitae to [email protected] by 24 June 2022 indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Consultant – Community Policing Specialist (Migration Management Unit) ”