JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
WasteAid – Circular Economy and Waste Management Lead
Reporting to Chief Executive
Salary – Competitive
The role will be home-based with domestic travel and approx. 20% international travel.
Key Internal Relationships: Director of Programmes,Programmes Coordinator, Director of Development, Project Managers
Aim of this role: Reporting to the CEO this role will ensure the technical quality of WasteAid’s programmes working closely with Director of Programmes and programmes staff. This role will also play a strategic role in shaping WasteAid’s interventions of the future and together with the CEO and programmes staff will build partnerships with potential funders, global alliances and academic institutions. This role will be a part of WasteAid’s Senior Management Team and will be key to promoting WasteAid’s work externally representing the organisation at appropriate events and conferences.
Candidates should ideally be based in the UK, although there may be some consideration of those based in near neighbouring European countries.
- Develop the Circular Economy and Waste Management technical function of WasteAid in line with organizational growth leading on all technical aspects within the organisation as well as developing WasteAid’s presence as a thought leader on circular economy (CE) and waste related issues.
- Working with programmes staff and guided by best international practices, assess the circular economy and waste management programme content in line with WasteAid’s strategy and technical standards, offering technical input and advice to Director of Programmes and project teams.
- Assess and design appropriate Circular Economy and Solid Waste Management (SWM) interventions (in collaboration with the wider team) in WasteAid’s countries of operation and contribute accordingly to programme/project proposals.
- As part of each project, evaluate waste-related activity progress and determine necessary actions in short and long term and ensuring the technical elements of impact is measured through WasteAid’s M&E system.
- Value chain analysis on waste value chain to ascertain ways of improving inclusion and breakeven, particularly of those in the ‘first mile’ (informal waste collectors, buy back centres).
- Develop WasteAid training tool kit for first mile business training services drawing from existing resources and identifying local trainers.
- Maintain currency on developments in international SWM and CE approaches and how they may be incorporated into WasteAid’s projects.
- Represent WasteAid as the principal technical expert at appropriate events and forums and with funders, as required.
- Develop networks of technical experts to ensure that WasteAid continues its thought leadership and collaboration in the sector
- Work with programmes staff to ensure that the WasteAid technical input is well documented and that the institutional memory of WasteAid is preserved.
- Consistently horizon scan for project, partner and funding opportunities and share recommendations with Senior Management Team colleagues.
- Work as part of an internal bid team as the technical expert to develop timely and impactful programme/projects that align with individual funders’ strategies.
- Take lead in technical components of needs assessments and evaluations to inform new programming.
- Represent WasteAid in discussions on projects and initiatives with potential funders, as required.
- Review programme reports and other types of reports to ensure the technical content meets quality methodological, institutional and donor requirements.
- Support an effective monitoring and evaluation system by collection, analysis of data about waste management issues in order to improve the programme interventions.
- Take part in field visits to assess projects from a waste management perspective and provide support to programme team and partners as needed.
- Develop WasteAid’s advocacy pillar through an advocacy strategy and visible presence in appropriate fora in collaboration with Senior Management Team colleagues.
- Lead on WasteAid’s work around COP27 and develop further WasteAid’s initial work around Climate Change.
- Take the lead on representing WasteAid at events and conferences organised by the UK and International waste management sectors.
- Develop an online presence as a thought leader through blogs, articles and through social media.
- At least 10 years of Circular Economy and Solid Waste Management experience in an international setting at a senior level.
- At least 7 years’ experience of developing and managing large scale Circular Economy and Solid Waste Management programmes in Low and Middle Income countries (LMICs) that are relevant to WasteAid’s work.
- Experience of contributing to programmes designed to develop CE entrepreneurs or to develop green employment opportunities and sustainable grassroots WM businesses.
- Detailed knowledge of the challenges faced by LMICs in developing waste management systems.
- Excellent knowledge of best practice in international development programming.
- An excellent knowledge of the current international CE ecosystem, including international alliances, current priorities, relevant legislation, partner and funding opportunities.
- Ability to work closely with a wide range of stakeholders – Ministers, politicians, academics, senior corporate figures, local authorities and community leaders.
- Possesses an excellent (and international) professional network.
- Experience of living and working in Africa or Asia.
- Desire to tackle inequality at a global level through inclusive CE approaches.
- Ability to work in a multinational, multicultural organisation with team members from different professional backgrounds.
- Ability to focus on a number of different workstreams at any one time.
- Friendly, approachable, with a ‘can-do’ attitude and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Professional knowledge of French.
Please use the below link to review the information pack and application details:
How to apply
Please see the below link for details on applying: