Population Services International
Chief of Party, USAID/Vietnam Strengthening Local Health Security Project
Based in Hanoi, Vietnam
10-25% international travel
Reports to Country Director
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Established in Vietnam since 2005, PSI has used social marketing techniques to fill system gaps and motivate improved healthy behaviors and best practices related to HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, non-communicable diseases, reproductive health, and public health emergency responses. PSI Vietnam aims to strengthen the national health system using interventions that focus on building the private sector’s capacity and commitment to providing affordable and quality health products and services.
PSI seeks a Chief of Party that will be responsible for leading the implementation of a multiple-year USAID Local Health Security Strengthening Project in Vietnam. Accountable for delivery of all aspects of the projects, including technical implementation, financial and administrative compliance and oversight and supervision of project staff. Oversee project team to ensure that country level implementation is provided with a high standard of excellence, achieving its set goals and targets and within budget. Provide high level technical thought leadership and has the managerial capacity to strategically manage risk, monitor finances and ensure each phase of work is started or completed on time. Responsible for using evidence to improve project design and implementation. As the leader of a single-country project, liaise with national stakeholders, such as Ministry of Health officials. Primary point of contact for the project donor and also assures the strategic alignment of the project with PSI Global Strategy.
- Program Leadership & Management, including financial oversight, compliance, and management of a consortium of partners (if applicable). 35% of the Time
- People Management 15% of the Time
- Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management and Technical Leadership on the project (unless the project has a Technical Director). 15% of the Time
- External Representation. 10% of the Time
- Internal Representation and coordination. 10% of the Time
- Fundraising (with non-project funds). 5% of the Time
- Donor Liaison. 10% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) MSc, MPH, MBA, MHA, MPA or equivalent
- At least 10 years related work experience in technical and/or management leadership in global health programs preferably in global health security in Vietnam or countries similar to Vietnam -Experience and familiarity with global health in surveillance, emerging disease prevention, OneHealth, and/or risk communication and community engagement in Vietnam or countries similar to Vietnam
- At least 7 years’ experience and familiarity with working in complex governmental approval and collaboration processes on global health programs preferably in global health security in Vietnam or countries similar to Vietnam
- Knowledge of the legal and institutional context and frameworks for global health security in Vietnam or countries similar to Vietnam
- Connections to and familiarity with organizations working on global health security in Vietnam
- Experience in leading/coordinating multi-sectoral global health programs, including monitoring and evaluation with a strong focus on adaptive management and strategic communications
- At least 5 years supervisory experience.
- Proven success in management of complex operations, under specific donor awards and procedures, in a challenging, developing country environment.
- Ability to manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements, including sub-grants management.
- Ability to monitor and assess performance of self, other individuals, and / or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills, with emphasis on the ability to operationalize and oversee the execution of workplans.
- Strong leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and work across teams and roles. Ability to persuade and motivate people and teams.
- Experience developing capacity of government entities, staff, and other organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in managing government and donor relations.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively in a cross-cultural context.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent diplomatic skills and proven ability to work effectively with government officials, partners, donors, and stakeholders at high levels.
- Fluency in Vietnamese and English strongly preferred
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
**Measurement:**You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
**Honesty:**You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
**Collaboration:**You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
**Trust:**You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
**Commitment:**You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call (202)785-0072. #li-nc1 #li-onsite
How to apply
Deadline: 10 Mar 2024