UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
Org. Setting and Reporting
The incumbent reports to the Deputy Director of UNRWA Affairs (Programmes), who has the
authority for day-to-day supervision of programmes in the Field of operation. The Director of
Health (HQ) Amman is responsible for ensuring the achievement of professional, policy and
technical standards in line with the strategic direction of the programme. To realize this, the
incumbent is responsible for ensuring consultation with and approval of the Director of Health
on significant programmatic matters.
The incumbent supervises and provides technical guidance to a large team of professional and
General Services or equivalent Area Staff posts/personnel.
• Directs and supervises the Agency’s Health Programme in the Field to ensure that medical
care services, disease prevention and control, family health, mental health, oral health,
laboratory, pharmaceutical, physical rehabilitation, hospital services, Qalqilia hospital
supervision (West Bank only), and health information system are in line with the family
health team approach.
• Establishes and maintains a positive relationship with the host government and nongovernmental
health and UN institutions on health matters in order to ensure a healthy and
safe environment for UNRWA’s stakeholders.
• Oversees administrative matters pertaining to the Health Programme in the Field including
personnel, budget and expenditure control to ensure the smooth and continuous flow of health
operations and services.
• Directs multi-sector activities with the other departments in the Fields to ensure activities are
• Ensures coordination with local universities on health-related training activities to maintain
continuous improvements on the health services provided by UNRWA.
• Oversees the implementation of health projects in coordination with the Field Infrastructure
and Camp improvement Programme and project management with the External Relations and
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
• Persuading and Influencing;
• Planning and Organizing;
• Adapting and Responding to Change;
• Delivering Results;
• Creating and Maintaining Impact and Partnership.
• A university degree from an accredited educational institution in medicine including an
internship of at least twelve-months duration.
• An advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational
institution in public health.
• A license to practice medicine in the county of duty station.
Job Specific Qualifications
• At least ten years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in public
health systems of which five years should have been at a supervisory level. is required.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
• Technical Test.
• Competency-based Interview.
Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years; including 1 year probation period, with the possibility
of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and
Grade HL11, Monthly Salary JD 2277.00 Fils. plus, SOA 25% of basic salary, other benefits
include Provident Fund contribution (15.4% of basic salary paid by the Agency) & medical
insurance. Dependency allowance is subject to eligibility.
Department: UNRWA – Health Programme.
Duty Station: JFO.
• Provided very good understanding of the context of Palestine refugees and UNRWA
• A degree in Family Medicine Specialty.
• The incumbent may be required to travel frequently in the Agency’s area of operations.
• Possession of a valid driving license is required.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources may
exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant
academic qualifications and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not
considered an acceptable combination.
الرجاء تقديم طلبك باللغة الإنجليزية وملئ صفحة خطاب التغطية •
• This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. Only candidates residing in
Jordan, and within commuting distance of the duty station with authorization to work in the
duty station at the time of application are eligible to apply. The Agency will not assume
responsibility or accountability to support or facilitate the issuance of work permit in Jordan,
and without a valid work permit, the appointment may be rescinded.
• Since the Vacancy is an Area Staff post, the Agency will not provide coverage for relocation
• Preference will be given to registered Palestine refugees and candidates assisting the Agency
to meet its commitment to gender parity. UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified
candidates with disabilities.
• UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women.
• A roster may be created from the selection exercise, and successful candidates may become
eligible for appointment to the same post or a similar post.
• Only applications that have been fully completed in UNRWA’s online e-recruitment system
Inspira will be considered, and no late applications will be accepted. The PHP should be
completed with full relevant work experience under the experience tabs as per the
requirements in the Job Opening. All acquired university degrees must also be stated, if
applicable. Applicants applying to positions for Grades 12 to 20 must submit a cover
letter/motivational statement in order to be considered. Additionally, providing incorrect or
misleading information on an application will result in the immediate disqualification of a
• For UNRWA internal staff, they are required to specify and include their current UNRWA
grade level. To do so applicants should select under “Category” RLG, scroll down to see all
categories, then select their local grade.
• Advertisements published only in English will only accept applications in English, and
Arabic submissions will not be considered.
• The Agency may disqualify applicants whose name appears on the UN Sanctions List or a
UN database of staff separated for reason of misconduct or of staff who separated whilst
misconduct processes were pending.
• UNRWA shares investigation and misconduct information with other UN Agencies, and
past and prospective employers, about staff members who have been separated for
misconduct, or who have separated whilst an investigation and/or disciplinary process for
misconduct is underway; and such persons may be prohibited from employment with the
• The Agency will immediately disqualify applicants who are ineligible for any reason in
accordance with the Agency regulatory framework.
• UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states,
regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. The mission of UNRWA
is to help Palestine refugees achieve their full potential in human development under the
difficult circumstances in which they live.
• Applications from UNRWA staff member who had been demoted with deferred eligibility
for promotion will not be considered.
• Applications from Staff members who were recipients under the Early Voluntary Retirement
or Exceptional Voluntary Separation Schemes will not be considered.
• Applications from Internal candidate serving for less than one year in your current post will
not be considered.
• The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a
lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or to change the
• A candidate is not eligible for consideration if he or she was short-listed and found not
suitable for the same post within the previous 12 months unless the post description has since
been altered by 30% or more, as determined by ODCS.
How to apply
Link to the JO: http://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=212242&Lang=en-US
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.