UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Parent Sector : Sector For Administration and Management (ADM)
Duty Station: Amman
Job Family: Finances
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23-MAR-2023
Only nationals are eligible to apply for this post
Under the overall delegated authority of the Head of Office & UNESCO Representative to Jordan (HoO), and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer, and in close coordination with the current Administrative Assistant in the unit, the incumbent is involved in the completion of standard administrative and financial support activities and processes as per UNESCO Rules and Regulations.
As a team member, the incumbent provides financial, administrative and support services in processing transactions, control and maintenance of accounts and databases, and preparation of routine reports, correspondence and financial/administrative documentation.
The incumbent’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General Accountabilities
– Assist in the preparation of documents/reports;
– Compile, verify and maintain records of transactions and Office activities;
– Classify and code material relating to a number of subject areas and maintains general office files;
– Search Office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference from automated systems;
– Select information and record in correspondence, technical papers, project/ programme plans and general reference documents;
– Draft routine correspondence, cables, memorandums and reports on the basis of oral instructions, previous correspondence or other available information sources in accordance with standard office procedures.
- Financial Accountabilities
– Process payments; check that documents are complete, correct and compliant with the rules, regulations and procedures;
– Provide information, explanations and guidance on basic rules and procedures;
– Ensure that the accounting records (disbursement and receipts documents) and corresponding justifications are complete and properly filed;
– Act as bank focal point; carry on the reconciliation and follow up on bank documents;
– Ensure that monthly bank statements of accounts of the Office are received on time for the monthly closing of accounts;
– Make disbursements from petty cash; ensure that all necessary receipts are provided and keep updating the register of petty cash.
- Budgetary Accountability
– Register actions/data; do non-complex corrections in systems.
– Verify transactions and check data/figures; identify and correct errors/anomalies and assist to input corrective action in FABS, SISTER etc.
– Assist in preparation of budget, check completeness, accuracy and compliance of documentation;
-Assist in the production of a variety of financial reports and statistics related to regular and extra budgetary funds;
– Extract data and information from the automated financial and programmatic systems (FABS; SISTER etc.) and prepare standard reports.
– Assist and provide guidance in preparation of travel plans, review travel claims, prepare travel orders; issue travel advances.
– Follow up air tickets purchase and payments, prepare travel authorizations and assemble information pertinent to the purpose of travel; track security certificates; make travel and hotel reservations.
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Office and/or the supervisor.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
• Secondary, technical, or vocational school in Finance, Accounting, Auditing or Business/Public Administration.
• Minimum three (3) years of relevant experience in financial related functions.
Competencies and skills
• Proven knowledge of Financial Auditing.
• Proven knowledge of internationally recognized finance standards and understanding of financial techniques and practices.
• Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills: ability to manage sub-contracted implementing partners, organise multiple and simultaneous tasks and deliver results within a specified timetable.
• Sound understanding of results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles.
• Proven interpersonal, collaboration and teamwork skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under pressure within a multicultural environment and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated proficiency in basic office software tools (MS Office suite) and use of relevant IT solutions.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Native Arabic speaker – oral, written, comprehension
• Fluent in English – oral, written, comprehension
• A university degree (bachelor level) in Finance, Accounting, Auditing, or Business/Public Administration.
• Previous experience working with UN agency or international non-governmental organisation.
• Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP).
How to apply
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.