This position is an exciting opportunity to get hands-on experience working with a professional humanitarian aid organization with 18 years of experience in emergency and trauma. In addition, this is a chance to be part of the leading team of IsraAID HQ, supporting country office staff in their mission of offering services to people recovering from a disaster or preparing for future hazards, and are living in different challenging environments.
IsraAID, founded in 2001, is a non-profit, non-governmental organization committed to providing life-saving disaster relief and long-term support. Our teams of professional medics, water engineers, mental health and psycho-social support experts, and community mobilizers have been on the front lines of nearly every major humanitarian response in the 21st century. Our mission is to support people affected by humanitarian crises. We partner with local communities worldwide to provide urgent aid, assist recovery, and reduce the risk of future disasters. IsraAID HQ is based in Tel Aviv and supports all IsraAID programs, both development, and emergency, worldwide. The DRR consultant will work as part of the programs department to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of DRR programs worldwide, striving to increase the scope and depth of IsraAID activities.
IsraAID’s WASH technical advisor will work together with Africa’s regional and emergency departments to support developing the WASH capacity to respond to disasters in the most professional way and to promote ongoing projects in Africa. Moreover, the WASH technical advisor will support and accompany the required process by utilizing his expertise in hydrology.
The WASH technical advisor’s activity will be designed according to the department’s development plan, annual goals, and field needs.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Developing WASH programs with IsraAID program department and country offices to support new and existing WASH programs.
- Support to maintain and expand IsraAIDs WASH community and WASH roster
- Support in Conceptual and organizational development of the IsraAID WASH department.
- Participation in emergency missions worldwide and ongoing programs, leading IsraAIDs WASH teams on the ground and designing WASH interventions
- Promote IsraAID as a leading WASH actor in the international humanitarian aid community, specifically in regions of responsibility (Africa region )
Developing WASH programs with IsraAID program department, and supporting existing WASH programs.
- Support in developing the WASH sector and develop a sectoral body of knowledge
- Develop appropriate programming tools for the development, implementation and end of a WASH program
- Design standards and policies of operations for WASH interventions
- Conduct training and orientation for emergency mission staff prior to their mission
- Offer online support and guidance to WASH staff (emergency mission or ongoing programs) for the program design, assessment, planning, and intervention implementation.
- Conduct debriefing sessions with emergency mission teams on return from an emergency mission along with the programs head of department.
- Review Project proposals and/or project reports from a technical WASH perspective
Support to maintain and expand IsraAIDs WASH community and WASH roster
- Support in conducting 3 WASH webinars/workshops per year for the WASH roster
- Support in conducting annual capacity strengthening of IsraAID WASH staff
- Manage and implement sectoral orientation for newly WASH-recruited staff
- The support HR department in the maintenance of a WASH roster and recruitment for emergency missions/programs
Support in Conceptual and organizational development of the IsraAID WASH department.
- Develop protocols of intervention schemes.
- Organize, maintain, and develop a sectoral body of knowledge and archive.
- Develop appropriate M&E tools for the different types of intervention programs.
- Provide technical advisement and consultation in the WASH team on the area of specialization.
- Support in maintenance, development, and expand inventory capacity for emergency missions.
- Identify suitable and sustainable hardware and technologies for WASH interventions.
Participation in emergency missions worldwide and ongoing programs, leading IsraAIDs WASH teams on the ground and designing WASH interventions
- Availability to join 2-4 weeks missions with short notice
- Visiting ongoing programs for technical support
- Conducting field assessments
- Providing professional consultants to IsraAID’s mission leaders or WASH staff
- Designing (or support in designing) immediate, short, and long-term WASH programs
- Implement and lead immediate WASH intervention
Promote IsraAID as a leading WASH actor in the international humanitarian aid community in regions of responsibility (Africa region )
- Represent IsraAID in WASH Inter-Agency Standing Committee activities and content development in Africa region
- Support the building and maintaining of high level WASH related partnerships with recognized institutions
- Coordinate and support collaboration with academic research
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Background in hydrology and sustainable ways of managing water sources.
- Proven experience in drilling supervision and familiarity with procedures of construction.
- 5 years of experience in emergency programs and advanced management skills and fluent in using programmatic tools (log frames, PDs, etc)
- Advanced background in Hydrology/ Water engineering/environmental engineering/relevant academic background – Advantage
- Professionally fluent or native with a high level of written and spoken English.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a group.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience in planning, developing, and conducting WASH training and workshops -advantage.
- Experience in working in non-governmental organizations in Africa region – advantage
- Experience in long-distance staff guidance and supervision – advantage.
- Israel or Nairobi based- advantage