Project: Arise H2H
Type of Appointment: 2.5 months – Short Term
Estimated Start Date: July 25, 2023
Closing Date: October 7, 2023
Supervisor: Project Manager
On April 15, 2023, conflict broke out between the Sudan Armed Forces and paramilitary group the Rapid Support Forces, compelling nearly 3 million people to flee in search of safe refuge to other parts of Sudan, and neighboring countries, including CAR, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, and South Sudan. Internews launched social media listening activities, focusing on community needs inside Sudan, relying on its rumor-tracking methodology, to ensure that the most urgent information and humanitarian needs are prioritized in the emergency response.
As the information environment and access to services are rapidly changing in Sudan, Internews is currently working on connecting people with humanitarian information. Internews’ timely social media listening activities can help humanitarian organizations adjust their programs and activities, to ensure they are responding to people’s urgent needs and identifying harmful misinformation or information gaps. Listening attentively to people’s concerns, and understanding their priorities allows people affected by the conflict to influence and shape the humanitarian response to ensure that it is relevant and responsive to their needs.
The translator will undertake the translation of public information product such as reports and flash updates, from English to Arabic, and from Arabic to English. The assigned translator will be responsible for producing an Arabic version of the Sudan Communication Snapshot, ensuring accurate translation. The translator will also be responsible of reviewing various contents and products in both English and Arabic, to ensure high-quality translation
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, with other duties upon request:
- Translate documents from Arabic to English, and English to Arabic
- Responsible for translating and reviewing text in Arabic and English, to ensure the readability and quality of materials.
- Provide high-quality interpretation during presentations and meetings in English and Arabic
- Contribute to content production and engage in the editorial process.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Understanding of and demonstrating commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values .
- Strong understanding of humanitarian language, familiar with protection terminology and humanitarian principles.
- Strong writing skills in Arabic and English to ensure materials are translated accurately and incorporate humanitarian principles and editorial guidelines.
- Experience working in humanitarian and/or health emergencies.
- Strong understanding of the local context in Sudan.
- Fluent in Arabic, including Sudanese Arabic dialects, and English, knowledge of other local languages is an advantage.
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored and flexible.
- or international? Is any travel to High or Extreme Physical Risk locations anticipated?