HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya
TITLE: Temporary Nurse/Matron
DEPARTMENT: Legal Protection
HIRING MANAGER: Center Coordinator
START DATE: 24th July 2023
HIAS seeks to recruit a Temporary Nurse/ Matron who will manage the welfare of clients and ensure that all medical needs of patients are met. The incumbent will be required to ensure individual holistic health care is maintained throughout.
1. Health and Medical Arrangements
- Responding to medical emergencies and offering first aid services.
- Carrying out medical screening and observations during intake of clients
- Administering any prescription medication in accordance with the doctor’s guidelines.
- Monitoring immunizations for children as per KEPI schedule
- Accompanying residents to routine medical appointments
- Provide advice to the Centre Manager on the medical needs of the residents at the center.
- Make orders for the medical supplies for the center. Ensure that medical supplies are stored safely and properly utilized.
- Handle all the relevant medical documentation and facilitate referrals to hospitals.
- Keep records of all medical cases, treatment received, medication, duration of stay, and other needs at the center.
- Prepare daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly summaries.
- Record all Medical Emergencies and other incident reports at the centre.
- Ensuring proper documentation and maintain confidentiality.
- Work closely with housekeeping department to ensure that the medical needs in terms of cleanliness and diet of residents are met.
- Contributing to the induction of new residents so as to provide the highest standards of care.
- Ensure cleanliness and tidiness of both the House and residents.
- Inspect the rooms from time to time and check on the general cleanliness, any peculiar habits, and/or report on anything outside the usual norm.
- Identify, address and report all residents’ concerns to the Centre Manager
- Conflict resolution amongst clients
- Establish a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to clients.
- Carry out any other duties, as may be required by management.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Diploma in Nursing from a recognized institution.
- Sound knowledge of the management of outbreaks, of common diseases.
- Must be a registered Nurse with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- At least 2 years of work experience as a nurse, former experience with humanitarian organizations will be an added advantage.
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel)
- Significant knowledge in conducting trainings and health talks.
- Ability to manage confidentiality.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili
- Experience working in a refugee program is an added advantage.
- Knowledge in Accountability to Affected Populations
- Knowledge in PSEA
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required or permanent location. Location is subject to change based on programmatic needs. Flexibility is essential as we grow and develop. The successful candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced, changing work environment with many crucial deadlines. All team members may be required to perform duties outside of their normal work hours of responsibilities as needed.
SAMPLE HIRING PROCESS:
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a Human Resources staff person.
Step 3: Interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Reference check.
Step 6: Offer and background check.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • הכנסתאורחים (Hachnasat Orchim)
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • צדק (Tzedek)
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • חסד (Chesed)
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • חברותא (Chevruta)
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • אומץ (Ometz)
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • רוח (Ruach)
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS. We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of child abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel. Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS’ Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. Likewise, HIAS will share this information when other organizations inquire about current and former HIAS staff as part of their recruitment process. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume through the link Temporary Nurse Matron – Careers At HIAS Inc. (hrmdirect.com) quoting the position title: Temporary Nurse/Matron on the subject.Indicate your salary expectation as well.
Deadline for applications: 11th July 2023
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates.**
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.