Assessment Capacities Project
ACAPS, a project hosted by the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), is looking for a dynamic and engaged Afghanistan Analysis Hub Team Leader to join its Afghanistan Hub team!
The project runs from 13.06.2022 until 31.03.2023 with possible extension.
Afghanistan Analysis Hub
ACAPS is establishing an Afghanistan Analysis Hub to provide impartial, independent, timely, and high-quality analytical products, which strengthen the evidence base for decision making and response programming among humanitarian stakeholders related to the crisis in Afghanistan and how it affects communities both within Afghanistan and in neighbouring countries. To achieve this, ACAPS will put together a team of one Project Lead (Team Leader), two Senior Analysts, one Data Analyst, and four Information Analysts, with support from Expert Analysis Advisors and others within the organisation.
The Afghanistan Analysis Hub will:
- Use available data to reach deeper levels of analysis to understand cross sector linkages and trends and to anticipate and understand future risks.
- Support sectors and organisations in using existing data to identify information gaps and design quantitative and qualitative research assessments.
- Design and share analysis, creating an evidence base on which a shared overview of the crisis can be established, and inter-sector coordination strengthened.
- Facilitate joint analysis processes.
Purpose of the position
The Team Leader is the day-to-day manager of the Hub. This includes ensuring the team workplan is kept up-to-date and adhered to, managing staff, and maintaining key operational relationships in and outside Afghanistan. The Team Leader is responsible for the effective implementation of activities against project objectives and for ensuring continued funding for the Hub. The Team Leader is expected to represent the Hub in all high-level engagements, develop relationships with stakeholders, and ensure publication or distribution of the ACAPS products produced by the Afghanistan Analysis Hub.
The Team Leader will work closely with all members of the Hub and the key humanitarian partners in Afghanistan to ensure correct process and content. The Team Leader will ensure working relationships with relevant partners in Afghanistan and represent ACAPS in various fora as needed. As a member of the EMT, the Team Leader will participate in EMT meetings.
Knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in humanitarian action, management, social sciences, international relations, research, or international development.
- Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years’ experience will be accepted instead.
- At least 5 years field or headquarters experience in the humanitarian sector; at least 2 years of management experience
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary, multinational, remote teams in complex environments
- Proven skills in analysis and negotiations
- Significant understanding of humanitarian needs assessments and working with primary and secondary data, and qualitative and quantitative methodologies, asset
- Experience designing and/or carrying out research (primary, secondary, or both)
- Experience in the workings of the UN system and humanitarian operations across a variety of geographical areas
- Understanding of humanitarian coordination structures
- Excellent knowledge of Afghan economics, politics, social and cultural dynamics, and history
- Large professional networks in Afghanistan, asset
- Proven ability to deliver against targets and meet deadlines within a short timeframe
- Very strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Fluency in Pashto and Dari, both written and verbal, asset
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office incl., Excel spreadsheets, word-processing)
- Networking and representation
- Result-oriented and problem solving
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Flexible and creative
Operate in line with the ACAPS values
- ACAPS is a dynamic and independent organisation. Our culture is enshrined in the ACAPS values (here). The post holder is expected to develop the position in line with these values. The ACAPS values live in the way we manage our teams, create our content and engage with stakeholders.
How to apply
Please send you CV and motivation letter in your application through the NRC platform here.
You can find the full job description here.
To be noted: Priority will be given to applicants from Afghanistan or the Afghan diaspora with the right to live and work in the UK or any country with an NRC office.