Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa is a high-profile initiative originally developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the Indian Education NGO Pratham to promote evidence-informed education programming in Africa. TaRL Africa, now headquartered in Kenya, works to improve basic reading and arithmetic skills of children on the African continent through the TaRL approach. We aim to reach 3 million children in the next five years. Key countries of operation include Kenya, Cote d’Ivoire, Nigeria and Zambia where we work on contextualizing the TaRL approach .
Summary of the Role:
The Security and Logistics Associate will manage security and safety of programs, support on logistics and development of related plans and policies including development of security policies and procedures. As a member of the operations team, s/he provides logistical support to program teams.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Support on security, safety and risk mitigation and ensure that program staff complies with security policies and procedures;
- Monitor and analyze the ongoing threat environment faced by the program and brief the leadership accordingly. Distribute threat warnings to all staff as appropriate as guided by SOS International.
- Ensure that appropriate risk mitigation measures are taken by the program teams to respond to the threats or changes in threats faced by the programs. This is to include physical protection measures, safe working routines, movement restrictions, protection equipment and security staff provision, as required;
- Oversee movement control and coordination for the programme, transportation and staff whereabouts.
- Oversee any security provider contracted by the TaRL Africa to ensure contractual compliance and performance of their duties, and act as the focal point of contact with the security provider;
- Report security incidents, violations and recommended corrective actions, as appropriate, to the Operations Director and the Security Committee;
- Ensure all new employee/contractor personnel receive appropriate security orientations and briefings;
- Verify that all security devices such as locks, alarms, access systems and physical force protection measures are operational or reported for repair;
- Work with the Operations Director to maintain the TaRL Africa Crisis Response Plan and ensure that the contact information contained therein is always up-to-date;
- Provide a weekly security report to Operations Directors for sharing with SMT;
- Be able to assist with out-of-hours emergency response at the programme, if needed;
- Support the Operations Director with business continuity planning, as required;
- Provides oversight of vehicle logs, vehicle maintenance; identifies vehicle needs and reviews driver timesheets;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or International Development
- Formal training in security and safety
- A minimum of five (5) years of general work experience with at least three (3) in security management experience in the context of international development;
- Certification like CISSP, CCSP, CISA, CCISO, SABSA, ISO27001, ISO27301 will be of advantage
- Experience implementing security policies, procedures and protocols;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in teams and in a collaborative environment;
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented and flexible work style;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in the use of computers and Microsoft Office software;
- Ability to multitask highly desired;
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information;
- Appreciation of and ability to work effectively in, diverse work environments;
- Field-based security and crisis management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in emergency preparedness, security and staff safety.
- Have experience working in existing government security forces
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Ensures Principled compliance
- Proactively Manages Risk
- Leads Operational Improvements
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
What makes you the right fit?
- You are passionate about children and their education
- You believe in the power of government systems to create large-scale change
- You enjoy working in rural and semi-urban settings
- You are driven by the impact of your work
- You enjoy traveling including to remote areas and varied country contexts
- You have a love for learning, for different cultures
- You are open to challenge yourself and others in the best interest of the programs
How to apply
Please fill in this application form 24th June 2022. Only applications submitted through the form will be accepted. Please note that, due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.
TaRL Africa is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.