International Development Law Organization
Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law to advance peace and sustainable development. IDLO works to enable governments and empower people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity.
With its Headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, and United Nations Liaison Offices in New York and Geneva, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research and learning, as well as rule of law and justice programmes in countries through some 17 Country Offices operating in every region of the world.
The Department of External Relations and Partnerships is responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of IDLO’s external relations agenda, communications and partnerships building through strategies and activities to promote, protect and enhance IDLO’s mission and brand. The Department actively promotes and advocates for IDLO’s strategic priorities with governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, civil society, the private sector, philanthropic organizations, academia, and other potential partners at national, regional, and international levels. It collaborates with all entities within IDLO to promote the Organization’s policy advocacy priorities.
It supports IDLO’s program and program development teams and country offices to ensure that communications, partnership engagements, resource mobilization and other outreach activities are coherent and integrated in IDLO’s activities around the world. It builds and maintains innovative and productive partnerships, ensures best practices in communication and resource mobilization, and supports the governance mechanisms of the Organization.
Working under the supervision of the Chief of Communications, the Social Media Officer is responsible for the following activities:
1.Management of IDLO’s Social Media Platforms:
- Develop and deliver high-quality, engaging, original content for use across IDLO’s different social media platforms, ensuring alignment with IDLO’s strategic priorities, voice/tone and branding;
- Create and execute high-quality social media plans, including channel and content strategies and campaigns, with an emphasis on setting strategic audience growth and cultivation goals and refining digital messaging and engagement strategies.
- Maintain a social media calendar and identify opportunities to enhance visibility and engagement
- Track IDLO’s footprint online and the relevant metrics to accurately and meaningfully produce indicators to measure impact and success. Regularly monitor digital trends and results. Perform digital content audits and present digital content gap analysis to increase and improve inventory of digital content. Measure effectiveness of content marketing initiatives, optimize and provide business insight for ongoing improvement.
- Keep abreast of emerging channels and trends (e.g. TikTok) and identify opportunities to grow IDLO’s audiences and digital presence
- Maintain and update IDLO’s social media guidelines and support on social engagement across the organization, including at the regional/country level.
- Develop relationships with and engagement strategies for prominent social media influencers who promote interests and agendas close to IDLO’s work;
- Support the social media activity of IDLO’s Director-General, planning suggested content and monitoring the social media presence of other major international development actors.
2.Website Development and Maintenance:
In collaboration with the Chief of Communications:
- Maintain IDLO’s web presence on idlo.int;
- Oversee content management. Uploading, creating and publishing to the website as required;
- Oversee website development and manage external providers contracted to undertake work on website upgrades, development, maintenance, Search Engine Optimization, content strategy and implementation of new environments.
3.Branding, Design and Multimedia Content:
- Support the organization’s brand strategy through developing, advocating and sustaining global standards and practices;
- Support the Chief of Communications in overseeing external creative resources, such as graphic designers, videographers, photographers and other creative services;
- Lead the development and oversee the inventory of visuals including photo sourcing, multimedia editing and creation of social media cards and infographics.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience:
- An advanced degree in journalism, communications, development studies, political science or a related field is required.
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in digital and social communications, including coding and creating, publishing and managing digital content. Experience in international public service and/or INGO preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in the creation of engaging social media content across a variety of platforms – including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn – for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrable experience in the understanding and use of SEO and social metrics and digital and social analytics to improve performance.
- Experience at producing regular reports using Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Google Analytics or similar tools.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other languages is highly desirable.
Skills and Competencies:
- Data-driven and have an evidence-led approach to social media strategy;
- Up-to-date with the latest trends/developments in social media communications;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Strong graphic design skills. The ability to create simple graphics for digital and social publication
- Basic HTML skills required;
- Proficiency in common digital CMS platforms (Drupal, WordPress), as well as Hootsuiteand Google analytics;
- Proficiency in use of common creative tools such as InDesign, Photoshop, Canva, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office 365 Suite, Microsoft SharePoint;
- Proven creative energy, and a respected team player;
- Ability to work across organizations with various departments and field offices;
- Flexible, with the ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision;
- Works well with others, share information, contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities;
- Excellent time management skills, and capable of working under pressure and handling stress;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Terms & Conditions
For this professional internationally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract for 24 months, with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of EUR 60,400 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates. IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs, as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection. In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
Application deadline: 18 January 2023 (23:59 hrs Rome time)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee/consultant/intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
How to apply
Please make sure you apply to the following link:
Social Media Officer (internationally recruited) in | Careers at HQ- Rome (icims.com)