Senior Strategic Communications Advisor – Preventing Violent Extremism
USAID/Indonesia Harmoni (Towards Inclusion and Resilience Activity)
Love Frankie – a social impact communications firm – together with MSI and Search for Common Ground is implementing a multi-year USAID-funded project, Harmoni, to promote tolerance and resilience in Indonesia.
Love Frankie is recruiting for a candidate with a passion for using strategic communications and research for positive social impact in the fields of preventing violent extremism and conflict, as well as peace-building to join our dynamic team on the Harmoni project. This individual will take on a senior management role in ensuring the implementation of impactful, evidence-based communications and research across all aspects of the program.
This is a full-time position for the duration of the project term (pending funding for a potential multi-year extension, the current expected end date is December 2025). The role is based in Jakarta, Indonesia, and requires excellent English written and oral proficiency, as well as a minimum of oral (with written preferred) fluency in Bahasa Indonesian.
The USAID-funded Harmoni program commenced in August 2018. It aims to promote tolerance and inclusion while reducing the risk of violent extremism in Indonesia. Harmoni supports interventions that focus on communities and individuals most at risk of radicalization, with an explicit mandate to build the resilience of key Indonesian institutions.These groups – government, civil society, religious, and community-based – represent the frontline in preventing violent extremism in Indonesia.
The majority of Harmoni assistance is delivered through grants to Indonesian civil society organizations (CSOs) and government partners, primarily at (but not limited to) the provincial level and below. The strategic communications function, led by Love Frankie, plays a central role in designing and implementing impactful evidence-based communications strategies across all project components.
This full-time Senior Strategic Communications Advisor (SSCA) position will lead the development of the overall strategic communications approach across Harmoni activities, with a focus on building the capacity of stakeholders to design and deliver evidence-based research and communications targeting a broad range of beneficiaries.
The SCA is also responsible for managing locally-based Love Frankie staff assigned to Harmoni and working in coordination with Love Frankie headquarters staff (Bangkok and regional).
The SSCA, in coordination with Harmoni Senior Management and Program teams, will continue to build on a track record of success while managing evidence-based communications activities that are implemented in partnership with a range of partners and grantees, such as civil society, government, and the private sector.
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of innovative strategic communication approaches for the project
- Lead the design and implementation of participatory approaches to stratcomms activities such as user co-design, online panels and surveys, or rapid prototyping methods
- Manage Love Frankie local staff assigned to Harmoni with kindness and professional excellence
- As part of the Harmoni senior management team advise on, develop, and oversee program strategy and represent the stratcomms component with USAID and other senior stakeholders
- Oversee implementation of strat comms-related grants
- Identify and engage a range of strategic partners, including P/CVE and thematic domain experts, creatives, media partners, and research agencies
- Provide input on overall research design and implementation to support evidence-based decision-making and programming across Harmoni activities
- Provide input on the design and implementation of project learning approaches and events
- Support reporting and documentation of project progress and impacts
- Coordinate with Love Frankie HQ staff on strategy, resourcing, and implementation of Harmoni activities
- BS/BA, MA or PhD in strategic communications, international development, or related field (e.g., politics, international relations, conflict, media studies)
- Minimum 8 years of experience in communications and/or international development; direct experience developing strategic communications or social behavior change communications (SBCC) required
- Experience with social inclusion issues. Experience with preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE), conflict mitigation, and/or peace-building preferred
- Excellent fluency in English oral and written communication skills; Oral Bahasa Indonesian language proficiency required, combination with written a bonus
- Willingness and ability to travel within Indonesia and the region, in accordance with prevailing public health guidelines
- Experience in international development and working with donors, civil society, and other related stakeholders
- Extensive experience in both project and team management; experience managing grants to Indonesian civil society preferred
- Leadership and team management experience in international development, including working with teams in different locations
- Prior experience designing and/or managing research projects, including qualitative, quantitative, and/or online methods
- LF provides internationally highly competitive wages and a robust benefit package including health care.
- Team health is a top priority, and LF supports staff with mental health and wellbeing provisions, along with excellent leave and hybrid work policies.
How to apply
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team and being a part of this exciting project, please send us your one-page cover letter and CV (maximum three pages) to [email protected] with “Senior Strategic Communications Advisor – USAID Harmoni” in the subject line by 30 June 2022.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Seeking to hire as soon as possible. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis – apply soon.
Love Frankie is a social impact research and communications firm whose purpose is to support communities to shape a more peaceful, just, and empathetic world. Our team of highly skilled and passionate change-makers manages a range of high profile regional and national programs across the Asia-Pacific region.