Handicap International - Humanity & Inclusion
Senior MEAL Officer (Re-Advertisement)
(Senior Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Officer,
Based in Maesot, Thailand)
(FOR THAI NATIONAL AND ALL APPLICANTS LEAVING IN THAILAND)
Senior Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Officer(1 open position)
Closing date: 24thJune 2022 (The recruitment is urgent; HI reserves the right to hire somebody before the deadline)
Handicap International that runs its program under the operating name Humanity & Inclusion (HI) seeks forSenior Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Officerin Mae Sot with weekly travels to field areas.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of employees with disabilities. HI reserves the right to not accept applications submitted after the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
Handicap International, now operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion (HI), is a non-profit independent and impartial aid organization working in situations of poverty, exclusion, conflict and disaster. HI works in emergency, post-emergency reconstruction or rehabilitation, chronic crises and development settings.
HI works alongside persons with disabilities and vulnerable populations, taking action and bearing witness in order to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. HI works to meet the needs and defend the rights of children, women and men with disabilities.
Since its creation in 1982, HI has gone on to work in around 60 countries worldwide, for the benefit of several million people.
In Thailand, HI started working in 1984 and currently implements activities for Burmese refugees along the Thailand-Myanmar border under three thematic areas: Rehabilitation, Disability Social Inclusion (DSI) and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education (EORE). For more information on the organization, please see Humanity and Inclusion website: https://hi.org/en/index and the online presentation of the organization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p2OWl6T3AY&t=127s
HI Thailand has three main pillars of intervention within the Myanmar/Thailand Program:
- Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) including Explosive Ordnance/Mine Risk Education,
- Inclusion of persons with disabilities with Disability Social Inclusion (DSI) and inclusive Early Child Development,
- Health and Rehabilitation with project covering physical and functional rehabilitation.
The projects are support by the European Union, UNHCR, Ikea Foundation, Foundation de France and the US Government (BPRM).
Reporting to the Regional MyTha MEAL Manager, the Senior MEAL Officer (based in Maesot, Thailand) is responsible for ensuring the proper implementation of monitoring & evaluation, accountability & learning and information management systems on the projects in the geographical area(s) to which he or she is assigned (i.e., Thailand, based in Mae Sot).
He/ She guarantees compliance with the HI’s and donors’ guidelines. Under guidance and priorities set with the MEAL Manager, MEAL Senior Officer supports all project teams and implementing partners by contributing to developing MEAL Plans, developing appropriate monitoring tools and adapted data bases and ensuring frameworks & tools are in place and functional in all projects. This includes for instance; developing the adequate forms for data collection (paper based or mobile/online forms) management and anlayis all data and information to monitor performance and learn form projects in order to continues improvement and in response to projects’ needs and donors’ indicators. As well, the MEAL Senior Officer will support HI’s Project teams and partners’ teams to develop and enhance databases which are responsive to projects and organization’s needs and provide support on projects reporting. S/he will contribute also to develop a harmonized system of data collection and management at program level while leading the overall Information Management (producing Dashboards at national level compiling all field data, leading data extraction & analysis for different surveys, assessments, etc.) and frequent travel in different areas of work ( refugee camps in Thai-Myanmar Border)
He/she is also responsible for providing capacity building trainings to project teams and partners in data collection of survey, assessment and establish accountability-Feedback Complaint Mechanism System in Office and Camps where HI’s working. He/she is direct line Manager of the Data Officer who based in Mae Sot, Thailand.
MISSIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
Mission 1: Strategy and steering
- Contributes to defining MEAL and Information Management action plan, implements this action plan and then monitors it; – In close collaboration with the Programme / Regional MEAL Manager and the project managers, ensures the implementation of systems for monitoring, data collection, information management, evaluation, accountability to affected populations, learning and knowledge management that are adapted to the intervention context and enable compliance with HI standards; – Forwards to the Programme / Regional MEAL manager any information or difficulties that could help to improve these systems; – Helps drive the performance of the MEAL department.
Mission 2:Operational implementation
Responsibility 1: Supports projects managers to implement the minimum project management processes described in PME (Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation) policy and guidelines
- Trains and accompanies project managers in the PME methodology guidelines and their application on the programme. – Ensures the proper planning and implementation of essential project management processes on each project.
Responsibility 2: Is responsible for setting up systems for monitoring outcomes and for ensuring compliance with methodological standards when conducting surveys
- Ensures the systematic drafting of monitoring plans and the regular monitoring of project indicators and update and report of projects indicators status – Provides project managers with technical support and trains project teams including camp-based staff and surveyors in monitoring methods and conducting surveys. In particular, supports the design of questionnaires and survey protocols; – According to the needs and monitoring plans, contributes to certain surveys or monitoring activities through supervision or direct implementation. – Contribute to quarterly and annual project reviews and provide inputs to project and partner team on methodologies and MEAL – Informs the MEAL Manager and Country Manager of any unmet targets, contextual changes (risk and opportunities) and negative effects on beneficiaries
Responsibility 4: Is responsible for compliance with the HI standards applicable to project evaluations
- Ensures that evaluation activities are carried out, including annual self-evaluations and follow-up to internal and external evaluations conducted and planned – Ensures that feedback sessions on the findings of evaluations are held with the beneficiaries, Partners and other project stakeholders in the projects. – Contributes and supports the development of Terms of References/Protocols of internal or external project evaluation in collaboration with MEAL Manager and Project Manager as well as quality reports
Responsibility 5: Is responsible for the application of the accountability mechanisms defined by the Programme / Regional MEAL manager to provide accountability to affected populations
- Helps to define population accountability mechanisms with MEAL Manager and is responsible for the facilitation of these mechanisms; – Provides regular feedback to the Programme MEAL manager on the accountability mechanisms in place to enable the continuous improvement of interventions. – Train to Project Team in Mae Sot Office and Camp Based Staff in Refugee camps on accountability-Feedback Complaint Mechanism to be in place and functioning – Monitor the mechanism and continues learning to be robust the system developed – Developed tool and logbook for feedback and complaint received to be filled in
Responsibility 6: Contributes to learning and the continuous improvement of HI’s interventions
- Is responsible for implementing processes and methods for collecting, analysing, modelling and ownership of the knowledge produced, in accordance with the frameworks defined by the Programme / Regional MEAL manager. – Contributes to the analyses of the information collected and the knowledge produced to strengthen collective learning; – Ensures the sharing of knowledge produced internally on the programme and more broadly at organisation level by using HI Library.
Responsibility 7: Contributes to the external representation and promotion of HI’s MEAL expertise.
- Represents HI’s MEAL and IM expertise in all relevant networks in Thailand and refugee camps
Mission 3:Mission 5: Emergency preparedness and response
- Contributes to the programme’s emergency preparedness actions and, in an emergency, adapts his or her working methods to contribute to an effective humanitarian approach by HI.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in economics, development, social sciences or other relevant fields, with Post Graduate training in M&E and/or Project planning and Management
Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of humanitarian aid and development project management, or MEAL related jobs.
Technical Skills & Cross Cutting Skills:
- Ability to work across various teams with excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build capacities
- Technical skills including design of evaluation tools, evaluation planning and management, analysis of qualitative data, and results reporting
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with report writing skills
- Relevant computer software skills, including at a minimum MS Office and Excel
Language skills: Strong command of English and Thai language (written, spoken and listing)
Basic conversational level of Myanmar and Karen language is an asset
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural team
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume work flow.
Local work contract, 1year fix-term contract (with possibility to be renewed, upon funds’ availability)
We offer also: nice working environment with 15 days of annual leave, 5 working days office closure in December, 15 days of public holidays, Social Security & Worker Compensation Fund, Group life & health insurance, phone card credit, 13th month bonus, seniority of 2% after the 1st year of employment and opportunities of training/capacity development.
Handicap International encourages qualified persons with disabilities or chronic illness and women to apply.
HI is committed to protecting children and vulnerable adults from harm. Employment is subject to HI protection standards including background checks and adherence to HI protection policies
(Child protection, PSEAH) and Code of Conduct.
All information shared by the applicants remain confidential.
How to apply
In the subject line of the email please write “Senior MEAL Officer”
IMPORTANT: In the content of the CV please outline responsibilities and tasks from previous & current work, education and training received.
Please send all applications (cover letter, CV, copy of Thai ID card/Passport and education certificate) to: [email protected]
Only candidates who pass the administrative selection will be taken into consideration for a technical assessment and an interview, and will be afterwards notified of the final decision. HI reserves the right to contact the applicants for further information before the final selection from the selection committee.