International Organization for Migration
I. Position Information
Position title: Senior Executive Assistant to Chief of Mission
Position grade: G-6
Duty station: Bahrain
Duration: One Year Fixed Term
Job family: Administration
Organizational unit: Office of Chief of Mission
Location: Country Office, Bahrain
Reports directly to: Chief of Mission
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Bahrain and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the following:
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide assistance to the Chief of Mission on all areas, but particularly with drafting letters to the government, and engaging with government Ministries on policy issues including initiatives from IOM HQ, serving as a focal point between the government and the Head of Office on key policy issues requiring follow up;.
- Manage and monitor a large and diversified volume of complex correspondence and documentation, often of confidential and sensitive nature; ensure appropriate routing, reply, prioritization, accuracy, consistency, informal translation and timeliness; bring complex, sensitive or priority issues to CoM’s attention;
- Arrange appointments and duty travels, maintain Head of Office’s calendar and receive visitors as needed;
- Organize high-level meetings, finalize agendas and invitations, ensure the production and distribution of documentation, take notes and prepare minutes, and follow up on required actions;
- Establish internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents; verify that work is done in accordance with organizational standards;
- Ensure provision of advanced administrative support services to CoM, including, preparation of draft correspondence, memoranda and reports;
- Manage receipt, registration, scanning, filing and forwarding of incoming and outgoing correspondence to CoM;
- Map and develop a comprehensive database of governmental and non-governmental counterparts;
- Conduct research and prepare briefing materials for the Head of Office; provide informal translations to from Malay as needed;
- Assist the Head of Office and units on the project development process, including translating documents, drafting proposals and communicating with governmental entities.
- Draft and informally translate official documents from English to Arabic and Arabic to English;
- Take full responsibility of CoM’s schedule including, scheduling meetings and alerting CoM in a timely manner about cancelations or changes to schedule;
- Arrange travel schedule for CoM, including making hotel bookings, preparing Travel Authorizations, acquiring medical and security clearances, and request flight bookings and maintain CoM’s calendar;
- Responsible for answering and forwarding incoming calls to CoM as well as greet and receive visitors;
- Screen and review documents submitted to CoM for signature and establish an efficient work flow process;
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between CoM’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by CoM.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma with six years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related fields from an accredited institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
• Manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities to meet the needs and expectations of elected and appointed officials and executives.
• Ability to anticipate executive needs and collect or prepare information for executive review and action is required.
• Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
• Maintain confidentiality and operate with poise and professionalism in a complex, high-profile, and rapidly changing environment.
• Interpret, apply, explain and reach sound decisions in accordance with laws, and CVWD regulations, rules and policies.
• Work cooperatively with other departments, District officials and outside agencies including city, county and state officials.
Required: Fluency in English and Arabic (oral and written)
Desirable: Working knowledge of French
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CV together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain ([email protected]) on or before 16.04.2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.