European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of a strategic communication led work with a focus on Asia region and China. You will work closely with a global network of communications specialists to conceive, plan and execute exciting communications work to build and sustain narratives on climate and energy. The position will be ideally based in locations in Asia and report directly to the Regional Manager for Asia.
- Work together with the Asia regional team to provide relevant insights and analysis for GSCC and its partners related to climate and energy
- Build and maintain a diverse network of relevant partners and contacts across Asia to support various climate and energy related campaigns.
- Optimize the effectiveness of various campaigns in the region.
- Identify and support new voices to support various climate and energy related campaigns across the region.
- Produce various outputs for both old and new media ranging from policy briefs, report summaries, op-eds, to social media content to support various climate and energy
- Actively embody and uphold the values of the GSCC.
- Any other assignment as directed by the GSCC Asia regional manager.
- Previous significant work experience, notably in environmental/energy journalism, energy research, or climate advocacy);
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamic of policy-making in Asia at both a national and regional level
- Familiarity with the regional media landscape and the value of strategic story placement in an international political context
- Knowledge and understanding of China’s policy landscape, especially with regards to overseas investments;
- Knowledge and understanding of South-South relations
- Knowledge and understanding of the interplay between Chinese/international media and the policy making when it comes to China’s global environmental impact;
- Strong grasp of international media landscape on climate and green BRI topics, with a good understanding of at least on major BRI recipient country’s media market, such as in the South East Asian or African region, a plus. Proactive media outreach for new contacts will be required;
- Strong project management and problem solving skills;
- Excellent command of English and Mandarin language skills;
- Strong team player working with colleagues in different countries on a project basis;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers;
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.;
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload (both in English):
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.