ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Business Development Associate, Private Sector provides technical and administrative support for business development activities with private sector institutional donors at Internews. This position will perform tasks requiring prior experience, education and/or training. The Senior Business Development Associate works within the Global Development team to increase funding in support of Internews’ mission by researching and engaging in fundraising activities with prospective and current private sector donors for increasing restricted project funds at Internews. Working under the leadership of the Senior Business Development Specialist – Private Sector, as well as the Vice President for Global Development, they will contribute to a strategic approach to development at Internews to ensure the organization raises over $4 million annually from private sector donors.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office or partially remote. Ultimately this position may work remotely from the US, partially remote from our Washington, DC office, or fully in office for candidates based in the DC area.
You should apply with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with those of colleagues in the Africa, Asia, and Europe regions, as well as with those of colleagues based on the East Coast of the United States (UTC-5). Candidates who prefer an office-based position should feel free to express this preference during the interview process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Concept Note & Proposal Support:
- Takes the lead in generating content/text for private development solicitations, working with program and technical staff members and the Senior Business Development Specialist to finalize.
- Assists with proposals and concept notes to private sector donors, including conducting basic desk research, document formatting, and development of situation analysis, capacity statements, past performance references, and formatting of CVs/resumes/short bio-graphics etc.
- Develops timelines for concept note and proposal submissions and reviews donor guidelines to ensure full compliance with all donor requirements.
- Develops outlines/writing guides for technical and program staff and other Business Development managers as required.
- Coordinates kick-off and/or design meetings for proposals as required.
- Working closely with program and technical staff members and their supervisor, writes, reviews, and edits smaller concept notes, proposals and pitches for submission to private sector donors in line with Internews’ annual Global Development strategy.
Meetings & Scheduling:
- Participates in quarterly positioning meetings for each program management unit, and in weekly Global Development coordination meetings, taking notes and minutes as required.
- Maintains a calendar of due dates for proposals and other donor submissions, including private donor reports, and will send out reminders to program staff as required.
- Schedules, leads and facilitates Go/No Go meetings for opportunities located in high-risk countries.
- Working with the Senior Development Manager, prepares presentation materials – including PowerPoint presentations and briefing papers for donor or partner pitches, or internal audiences, as required.
- Collaborates closely with the Communications department to develop website content to maximize Internews’ relationships with key donors, as well as Internews’ overall brand image on-line.
- Contributes to annual strategic planning for Global Development at Internews.
- Contributes to quarterly updates on Global Development activities.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- As needed, conducts prospect research for individual programs and projects and assists with initial outreach
- Manages campaign pages on crowdfunding platforms such as GlobalGiving
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 2 years of prior work experience, preferably in the non-profit, communications or international development fields, and ideally in fundraising in some capacity.
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information in changing lives.
- Relevant undergraduate University degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively and practiced presentation skills.
- Admirable writing skills with demonstrated ability to translate complicated technical material into easy to read and compelling text. Ability to both edit others writing and to accept feedback on written text with grace and humor.
- Demonstrated prior experience with successful proposal writing with a diverse range of donors.
- Proven organization skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize within the context of a flexible and shifting workload.
- Ability to handle sensitive donor information with the utmost discretion.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to maintain a sense of calm and project a sense of humor in the face of strict deadlines.
- Must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets. Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed both to domestic and/or international destinations, possibly to difficult international environments. (Travel is not expected to exceed 10% LOE for this position.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and internet research.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Prior experience living and working overseas.
- Prior experience working in the media development, health, environment and/or humanitarian fields.
- Prior experience with Salesforce.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing programs a strong plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic or Russian a plus.
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.