Job Title: Safeguarding and Accountability Advisor
Function: Safeguarding and Accountability
Job Group: Programmes
Duty Station: Odesa, Ukraine
Administrative Line Manager: Head of Mission
Line Management Responsibility: N/A
NP (Nonviolent Peaceforce) reimagines security and civilian protection in areas most impacted by conflict by working alongside communities to interrupt and prevent violence. NP is a global civil society organisation that works with people affected by violent conflicts to enhance their security and dignity through Unarmed Civilian Protection (UCP) and by helping to transform the world’s response to conflict situations.
The Safeguarding and Accountability Advisor (SAA) will lead efforts to implement and strengthen NP’s safeguarding and accountability approaches across its Ukraine programme (NPUA). The successful candidate will possess technical expertise and understanding related to safeguarding of stakeholders, including relevant national and international rules, regulations, and donor requirements concerning safeguarding and accountability. They will translate those standards into day-to-day practices for use by NP staff and build an infrastructure within NPUA to support compliance. The SAA will develop detailed guidance and provide ongoing technical support to field teams and partners across NPUA to strengthen best practices, tools, and implementing strategies for safeguarding and accountability. The scope of work will include ensuring that quality support is provided to persons with protection concerns while working alongside UCP Specialists and Protection Officers, particularly related to case management.
- Design and implement strategies to support and guide staff ensuring that safeguarding measures are integrated into office operations, processes, and programmes in line with safeguarding implementation standards and other core safeguarding documents.
- Coordinate the implementation of NP’s Safeguarding Policy Implementation standards, ensuring managers are aware of which standards apply to their area of responsibility and facilitating a team of delegate focal points, in order to ensure safeguarding measures are integrated into activities across all departments.
- Effectively manage an audit programme within NPUA, ensuring compliance with national and international requirements and to ensure that any action plans are fed back to the global Safeguarding Manager, currently the Global Head of People, Culture, and HR.
- Undertake clear and strong advocacy on safeguarding at all levels across the office, always acting as an ambassador and role model for safeguarding implementation. This will involve making use of appropriate internal platforms and events (e.g., management meetings, staff inductions etc.) to raise awareness on and increase commitment to policies.
- Deliver mandatory safeguarding briefings, inductions and/or workshops to staff, managers and associates ensuring all are aware of what safeguarding means for them and how to execute their specific responsibilities under the policy.
- Coordinate the annual safeguarding implementation standards self-assessment and incident reporting exercises, providing reports on outcomes and trends to the country management team and Global Head of People, Culture, and HR.
- Be the in country focal point for “Speak Up” the formal complaints mechanism for any serious misconduct issues. Ensure that NPUA is compliant with all aspects of the mechanism to meet donor requirements and our duty of care to the community. Deliver briefings both internally and externally, ensuring that all staff and those we engage with within the community are briefed on the mechanism and know how to use it.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Education, Knowledge, and Experience
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- A master’s degree or 5 years equivalent experience in a field related to humanitarian assistance and international development
- Demonstrated experience in the application of safeguarding and accountability policies, protection programming and rights-based approaches to development, with at least 4 years’ experience in protection and safeguarding programme design and implementation in fragile context settings
- Experience with SEAH/safeguarding investigations, including managing and conducting investigations preferred
- Proven experience responding to and managing sensitive protection/safeguarding matters in a confidential manner
- Experience developing and designing safeguarding and accountability resource materials, including guidance, tools, and best practices
- Experience in effectively delivering safeguarding trainings, workshops, and inductions to diverse audiences, including partners
- Experience working in fragile settings that have conflict, post-conflict, or transitional state characteristics
- Ability to set priorities, solve problems and analyse data
- Ability to manage information with discretion
- Demonstrable conflict analysis skills, identify entry points and design prevention and protection strategies
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals, motivate and provide leadership to the team and to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Solutions focused, creative problem solver
- Proven ability to build relationships with the full range of actors including government, chiefs, military, police, and non-state actors
- Genuine commitment and interest in living and working at the community level
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to structure and direct work plans of national and international staff, managing conflict and maximising human resources
- Ability to address staff welfare issues maturely and discreetly
- Ability to interact confidently in English with colleagues and external contacts, including in writing, and to present effectively relevant information is a required
- Fluency in spoken and written Ukrainian is a requirement
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian is a plus
- Good skills in Microsoft Office applications are required
- Knowledge of Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack is a plus
Other Specialized Requirements
- Ukraine is a complex security environment, and the evolution of the war is completely unpredictable – experience in insecure environments is essential to success in this position
- This posting can be physically demanding that may require walking and driving long distances
- A strong motivation to do what is necessary in a complex logistics environment is required
How to apply
- Candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to visit our website and submit a CV (max. 2 pages) and cover letter (max. 1 page) detailing your experience and how you qualify for the role. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Position will be open until Monday 17 July 2023
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply early
- Interviews could be on a rolling basis therefore a candidate may be identified before the closing date
- As part of the recruitment process, shortlisted candidates may be asked to complete a written assignment and if successful, participate in an interview process.
NP is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff at all levels. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. However, all qualified applicants regardless of their gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, or age will be considered for this opportunity.
NP acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of employees, contractors, volunteers, interns, people in communities we serve, and other stakeholders and is committed to ensuring that safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice in humanitarian and development sectors.
PLEASE BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT JOB OFFERS. NP DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE OR ASK FOR FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW, MEETING, TRAVELING, PROCESSING TRAINING, ETC). NP WILL NOT REQUEST INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.