Consilient (www.consilientresearch.org), is a research and monitoring and evaluation firm dedicated to delivering evidence-based insights to the aid and development community. We at Consilient believe the best work is done when full-time international and local researchers collaborate in-country to deliver informed products across topical sectors. As such, Consilient delivers its research products to the development, humanitarian, government, U.N., and donor clients with full-time, locally based research teams.
Today, with a team of more than 75, Consilient is engaged in research activities across a multitude of sectors, which include: Emergencies & Humanitarian Aid, Education, Food Security & Resilience, Gender Empowerment, Financial Inclusivity, Migration & Displacement, Livelihoods & Economic Growth, Social Protection, Health, Water & Sanitation, and Security, Stabilization, & Preventing Violent Extremism. Our largest research portfolio covers Somalia and Somaliland, with secondary geographic foci throughout the region, including in Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, and South Sudan. Additional projects have been completed beyond the region, including in Mauritania, Niger, Yemen, and Timor-Leste.
We are on the lookout for dedicated and ambitious staff who want to continue to learn while taking on new challenges and responsibilities within the team, and in turn gain broad exposure to various development and humanitarian sectors.
The Research Officer is responsible for the full life cycle of research support and implementation, from conceptualization and design, to field-level implementation, and analysis and report writing.
Our ideal candidate is a strong team player who is passionate about delivering informed research products, wants to engage in the entirety of the research cycle, and thrives in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines. As Consilient’s research portfolios span diverse thematic and geographic areas, successful Research Officers will be versatile researchers who can quickly adapt to new topics, methodologies, and ways of working.
This is a full-time position based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland office. The position may involve occasional travel to project locations. The Research Officer reports to the Senior Research Manager.
Description of Main Duties
- Conceptualize and design methodologies to address key research questions;
- Draft quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects covering a range of subject matters;
- Manage data collection field teams and implement data quality control protocols;
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data;
- Support/lead report writing;
- Communicate with clients on project implementation and timelines, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with prior social science research experience (Master’s preferred);
- Experience in research methodology design, as well as quantitative and qualitative data analysis;
- Experience collecting primary quantitative or qualitative data will be considered an asset;
- Working knowledge of Stata or R;
- Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams preferred;
- Eagerness to engage in research across a multitude of sectorial areas;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines;
- Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country;
- Cultural sensitivity;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken French will be considered an asset.
Accommodation, Living Arrangements, and Travel
- Successful candidates will be provided with housing in the Consilient guesthouses in Hargeisa;
- Travel to the duty station at the start of the contract, and back to the home base at the end of the contract, will be covered by Consilient. An annual travel allowance will also provided for additional travel;
- A monthly stipend is provided on top of salary for in-country expenses;
- International staff at Consilient are provided with health insurance with international coverage;
- This is a non-family duty station.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter through this link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 17 Feb 2024