Action contre la Faim France
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
ACF France is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. Action Against Hunger currently manages operations in six Middle Eastern countries, responding to emergencies and providing communities with access to nutrition, health services, clean water, and sustainable solutions to hunger.
Part of ACF commitment is to provide energy support on electrical safety project by supporting the logistic Head of Department on energy related issues (definition of action plans, estimated cost, monitoring and evaluation);
For example, in 2022, the energy team worked on making safe 60 buildings (Office, Guest House, stock) in 13 countries where ACF is working to protect more than 600 working staffs. The Energy team work also on the electrical safety of programs buildings as Health facilities, Therapeutic food unit..etc
The Energy team have also a goal to participate to the contribution of decarbonize energy supply by:
-Managing and reducing consumption thank to the energy sufficiency and energy efficiency
-Converting buildings to renewable energy (solar)
Summary of position:
ACF is currently looking to fill the role Regional Energy Manager who will implement the regional energy strategy and ensure compliance of ACF standards energy performance of all ACF facilities. The post holder will provide technical support to the country offices on the Electrical Safety and Power Supply by defining the activities and estimate each cost, support the HOD log for anticipate the needs in terms of HR, material and timeframe and impact of the work in each bases/coordination. He/she will also participate and provide technical inputs for all procurements (works, services and goods markets) having electrical or energy components initial specification requested (linked with the needs and the sizing), consultation, technical validation, commissioning procedure of energy works and or equipment and materials.
The candidate must conduct field visits to carry out, supervise work and/or training of national resources in its countries in addition to supporting the preventive and curative maintenance of the mission’s electrical equipment.
The Regional Energy Manager will be reporting to the Regional Logistic Expert
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
Objective 1: Coordinate and provide technical support to the Country Offices of the Region on the Electrical Safety and Power Supply
- In line with ACF-Fr’s energy strategy and the challenges of the various country offices, proposes and, once finalized, operationalizes the sector’s strategy.
- Define with his/her manager the objectives of the energy activity based on Regional and / or Country offices strategy and needs ;
- Opening / Closing of Offices: Support country offices on the evaluation of energy needs, BOQ and cost estimation, work schedule;
- Safety – Ensuring the electrical safety standards of buildings of all ACF premises are respected :
- Monitor the electrical safety level indicator for ACF buildings ;
- Prioritise the electrical risks in buildings and propose action plans for each country
- Monitor the Country Offices’ energy budgets and confirm them with them before carrying out the work
- Support rehabilitation works done internally or subcontracted externally from the design of technical specification, up to the completion of the work
- Energy Supply – Ensure that bases have an adequate power supply that meets the energy standard
- Recommendation of the systems to be implemented
- Writing of the installation, maintenance instructions and equipment renewal
- Alert in case of reliability risks linked to the non-compliance with the energy standard, propose solutions
- Monitor innovations and support teams in improving energy sufficiency & efficiency throughout the region in accordance with ACF standards;
Objective 2 : Support program teams in their activities requiring energy
- Upon Country Office’s needs, support project teams in writing donor’s proposal (from the definition of the need, study and design of project, material list and BOQ, estimated project timeline and associated technical justification).
- Provide technical support on the Management of solar pumping / irrigation projects, electrification of buildings, Pharmacy thermal insulation, cold chain power supply…. (Study and design of the project, until implementation) ;
- Study, propose, size, budget and supervise the conversion of fossil fuels to renewable energy;
- Study, design and build emergency production equipment (emergency energy kit or mobile teams);
- Participate to procurement (call for tender, consultation …) of Energy equipment,
Objective 3 : Conducting field visits to carry out/supervise work and/or training of national resources in its countries
- In collaboration with the Logistic HoD of each Country offices and instruction of the Regional Logistic management team, elaborate the visit schedule & terms of reference mission ;
- Plan and coordinate the energy visit schedule with the bases/sub-bases in connection with the definition of the objectives;
- Do a field Visit report with recommendations
- Develop annual work schedules;
- Develop training plan and conduct training during visits;
Objective 4: Coordination, management and training of Energy focal points and users in country offices
- Ensure the technical Management of the Energy focal points (training, control of work done, annual appraisal, …);
- Train all energy focal point (under logistic or program team) on the basic knowledge of our ACF standard (electrical safety and power supply)
- Support the Log team on the energy safety work needed, (train and brief on the electrical safety diagnosis, provide regional strategic energy updates, provide training for the assigned mission energy focal point with regular follow ups).
- Ensure electrical safety awareness for all staff at least once a year on all bases and sub-bases.
Objective 5 : Manage / Support the preventive and curative maintenance of the mission’s electrical equipment
- For our office & GHs:
- Support Log team on consolidate the energy equipment that needs to be maintain
- Draw up a preventive maintenance schedule on electrical equipment and installations following Country offices set up
- Support the diagnosis of curative maintenance and the solutions implemented;
- Guide users in the resolution of material breakdowns and problems or on their installations and provide specific advice on the use of their equipment & installations;
- Consolidate and analyse the intervention sheets (preventive or curative) of the country base of the teams and subcontractors, draw a technical analysis and optimization and/or mutualisation solutions
For the medical structure supported: Support the logistic and the Health teams to identify a specialized supplier to perform the preventive maintenance of the medical equipment.
- Knowledge on design and sizing electrical safety protections
- Knowledge on electromechanical systems (generator sets)
- Knowledge on design and sizing solar systems / battery back-up systems
- Knowledge of CAD (layout, single-line electrical diagram, etc)
- Teams Management over technicians and subcontractors
- Written reports skill and excel sheets calculation skill (English and Arabic).
- Added Value : Functional management
- Ability to communicate and share knowledge
- Dynamism Creativity
- Good organisational skills
• 2 years of advanced technician studies undergraduate of an educational background on Electricity and or Energy
• At least 6 years experiences to work on those topics.
5 years of engineer level studies undergraduate of an educational background on Electricity and or Energy
• At least 4 years experiences to work on those topics.
Type of professional experience requested:
- LV electrical design and sizing (power balance, sizing of energy sources, power cables, switchboard protection, etc.)
- Setting up and managing preventive and curative maintenance of electrical equipment
- Experience in site management and team management
- Management, coordination and planning of electrical projects
- Project manager in a upgrade electrical safety work project in buildings of infrastructures to make the electrical installation up to international standards
- Added value : Proven experience in a similar position or in a humanitarian context
- Added value : Technical training experiences
Fluent in Arabic and excellent level of English
- In return of your skills and experience, ACF offers a competitive salary package falling under grade M2, health insurance + 10% of Regional bonus.
- Contract duration: December 2023 with possibility of extension
Ensure adherence to Action Against Hunger gender Equality & Safeguarding Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, colour, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Champion safeguarding policies and accompanying policy guidance support materials and assist in promoting prevention of sexual misconduct, sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA)
- Work with individuals and teams within the country teams to help ensure programs and operations are integrating Safeguarding measures.
Action Against Hunger is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
- Interested Candidates need to submit their application plus a cover letter by copying the link below to the browser:
- Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified, Action Against Hunger reserves the right to close the recruitment.
- Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
- Only open to national candidates from (Jordan or Iraq) at this time.
- Depending on the applicant nationality, the position could be based in one of the following countries: Amman – Jordan or Iraq with frequent travels.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.