Position: Regional Director, LAC
Contract Type: Full-time employment
Location: IsraAID Headquarters (Tel Aviv, Israel) or home-based if in one of IsraAID
country office locations, with frequent travel in the region (at min. 25% of the time)
Reporting: Sr. Dir, Region and Resilience Programmes
Application deadline: ongoing recruitment until suitable candidate found
Duration: 2 years, with a possibility of extension
ABOUT IsraAID AND THE POSITION
IsraAID is an Israel-based non-governmental organization founded in 2001. Since its
inception, IsraAID has worked in emergency and long-term development settings in over
55 countries. IsraAID’s mission is to support and increase the resilience of people affected
by humanitarian crises by partnering with local communities around the world to provide
urgent aid, assist in their recovery, reduce the risk of future disasters, as well as build their
long terms capacity and resilience.
The Regional Director (RD) position is a strategic position within IsraAID, part of its global
leadership team, essential to the organization to achieve its global humanitarian strategy.
Sitting within the Programmes Department, the RD reports to IsraAID’s Sr. Director of
Regions and Resilience Programmes. The RD holds a dual responsibility covering both
regional level responsibilities as well as supporting the development and transformation of
IsraAID’s country operations to continuously deliver quality and impactful programmes
and services to the communities we serve.
IsraAID IN THE LAC REGION
IsraAID Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) currently has missions in three countries:
Colombia, Guatemala, Dominica and the Eastern Caribbean. Our work focuses on four
sectors: protection, WASH, health and education. Our programmes in the region focus on
emergency response and humanitarian assistance, along with longer term resilience
building. Based on our theory of change we work with communities, civil society
organizations, service providers and governmental bodies. Our aim is to build capacities for
resilient and sustainable future of the communities we serve.
In line with IsraAID’s global and department strategy, the RD for LAC will be responsible
for developing a regional vision and strengthening IsraAID’s footprint in the region, closely
guiding, supporting and supervising IsraAID’s country operations in, contribute to the
design of quality programmes and increasing IsraAID’s portfolio in the region.
The position combines various key capacities:
- Strategic leadership, impact and contribution.
- Programmatic management.
- Risk/ crisis management and issues resolution.
- Communications and coordination.
- People Management.
Delivered through various key duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of IsraAID’s regional strategy in light of the organizational mandate, strategy and workplans.
- Accompany IsraAID country representatives in their efforts to accomplish IsraAID’s humanitarian country mission in the region, including operational support and capacity building activities.
- Accompany and oversee the development and implementation of country strategies and programs.
- Support HQ departments and act as a liaison between HQ and country offices in activities in conjunction with the regional country operation.
- Take active part in the development of the programs department’s capacity and proficiency.
- Representation among various networks and stakeholders
Accompany and oversee all aspects of IsraAID’s operations in their country offices to ensure the delivery of quality programs to targeted groups:
- Provide methodological and technical guidance and support to country teams in the development of multi-annual country strategies and projects development, working towards the technical and methodological standardization of processes and tools.
- Oversee and review programmatic and organizational progress, milestones, and achievements, modify and redesign when appropriate.
3. Ensure regular reporting and documentation of projects implemented in countries of responsibility.
4. Liaise and coordinate, as well as ensure smooth communications between HQ focal people and the CO.
5. Financial, administrative and operational backstopping
6. Develop capacity and backstopping support to CO in the development of partnerships, relationships with donors and submission of proposals.
Accompany IsraAID country representatives in their efforts to accomplish IsraAID’s humanitarian mission in the region, including operational support and capacity building activities.
- Conduct regular virtual and frontal meetings with country representatives and program managers for ongoing supervision and oversight in countries of direct supervision.
- Conduct orientation for new staff members in countries of leadership and volunteers as per the necessary skills required in countries of direct supervision.
- Conduct debriefing sessions with program staff/long term volunteers for feedback purpose.
Increase IsraAID presence and footprint in the LAC Region
- Develop and implement of the regional strategy and workplans
- Increase IsraAID presence and linkages within regional networks and platforms, and participate in relevant working groups and consortiums
- Identify and develop regional partnerships
- Initiate secure and implement regional programs, including cross border programs
- Lead cross regional collaboration and learning within the organization
Support HQ departments and act as a liaison between HQ and country offices in
activities in conjunction with the regional country operation.
- Provide necessary information to financial department for financial project reports.
- Provide updates and reports to partnerships department for donor updates.
- Provide information and support to DevComms department for the preparation of program related materials.
- Provide legal department with information regarding programs for the assembly of partnership legal agreements.
- Take active part in the development of the department’s capacity and proficiency, strategies and new partnerships.
6. Participate in the development of a technical data base of program development and
program implementation tools appropriate for the IsraAID programming
1. Have a thorough understanding of IsraAID mission statement, organizational identity and theory of change
2. Raise the profile of IsraAID, its work and country missions through active participation in Interaction forum, and external events when possible.
3. Serve as advocate for the country missions and the organization
4. Represent IsraAID in conferences, meetings, donors and partners meetings as required.
5. Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- MA in international development/humanitarian aid studies/ disaster preparedness and emergency response studies/ migration studies/ social sciences or related disciplines
- At least 10 years of experience in international development/humanitarian aid with managerial responsibilities, with at least 5 years of working experience as a CD.
- Proven experience in budget and accounts management
- Proven experience in leadership of admin and legal operational requirements.
- Establishment and set up of international operation/NGO/programming- advantage
- Languages- High proficiency in English and Spanish
- Ability to travel at least 25% of the time.
- Valid or previously held Israeli work permit (advantage)
- Position will be based in HQ (Tel Aviv) or possible alternative home-based location in one IsraAID’s country offices with availability to work in the Israel and LAC working hours.