International Rescue Committee
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The International Rescue Committee UK is part of the IRC global network, which has its headquarters in New York and London. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. Through over 20 regional offices in cities across the United States, the IRC also helps refugees resettle in the US and become self-sufficient.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
Our European headquarters, IRC-UK, were established in London in 1997 to support the organisation’s global activities and particularly to diversify its donor base and be able to better advocate with European policy-makers on behalf of the people we serve. Since its establishment IRC-UK has grown rapidly and is now acknowledged for its high quality project management, technical expertise in governance and rights and economic recovery, and innovative thinking on early recovery and gender based violence. The IRC also has offices in Berlin, Brussels and Geneva.
IRC-UK comprises approximately 185 staff across five departments.
The Purpose of the Role
The purpose of this role is to act as the first point of contact for visitors and other administrative tasks as identified by the Head of facilities and Procurement.
Scope and Authority
Responsibility for Resources:
- Responsible for daily activities of the workspace both office a virtual environment
Key Working Relationships
- Reports to Workspace and Procurement Manager.
Reception and communications
- Act as the initial contact point for the organization dealing with enquiries and providing information via phone, email or in person
- Meeting and greeting visitors (internal and external)
- Operate switchboard from 0900- 1730, receiving and transferring telephone calls, announcing callers, or taking brief messages and passing these on via email or Teams
- Report and issues to the Workspace and Procurement Manager
- Check and sign for deliveries; open, stamp and sort post; send outgoing mail by post.
- Sending and receiving mail by courier
- Creation and Issuing of ID Badges, Access Fob and Locker allocation and inventory
- Arranging new starter packs
- Maintenance Reception Guide and Visitor information
- Making a record of any poor levels of cleanliness or any maintenance issues and take necessary action to rectify
- Ensure that the kitchens are well stocked with milk, sugar, tea, and coffee and manage stock levels
- Provide office supplies (stationery & kitchen supplies) for staff and maintain adequate stocks; order new supplies, identify new suppliers and obtain the best price
- Provide administrative and general support to the Workspace and Procurement Manager
- Order business cards as required
- Maintain and produce attendance records
- Send travel report to insurance company for UK staff travelling overseas
- Provide logistical support to meetings, to include preparation of meeting and conference rooms and assist in arrangements for catering provisions
- Provide administrative support the operations and procurement team
- Contribute in other ways to the effective functioning of IRC-UK as required
- Willing to take on Fire Marshal and First aider duties
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with the use of office equipment i.e., photocopiers, AV equipment
- Excellent verbal communication skills with a good telephone manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer focus
- Ability to work on own initiative and take responsibility where necessary and to work as part of a team
- Strong written communication skills
- Good numerical skills
- Ability to work to a high standard (and while under pressure)
- Commitment to IRC’s values
- Demonstrable experience of working within an office environment and front of house
- Previous experience of switchboard operation
- Background in office administration
How to apply
Please apply through our website