Handicap International - Humanity & Inclusion
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the MEAL Manager is responsible for ensuring the proper implementation of monitoring & evaluation, accountability & learning and information management systems on the projects in the geographical area(s) to which he or she is assigned. He or she is the direct line-manager of the MEAL and Information Management teams in his or her geographical area.
NB:POSITION TO BE LOCATED EITHER IN DADAAB OR KAKUMA NON FAMILY DUTY STATIONS
- Manager as a role model: embodies HI’s values on a daily basis.
- Manager as coach for meaning: understands the strategy, makes it explicit, translates it into operational objectives for his or her team, leads the necessary changes. Gives meaning to each management action. Encourages inter and intra departmental exchanges of practice. Encourages innovation and risk-taking.
- Operational Manager: organises the operational management of his or her team, structures the work around identified processes, steers performance and facilitates the resolution of problems.
2: Strategy and steering
- Contributes to defining MEAL and Information Management action plan, implements this action plan and then monitors it
- In close collaboration with the Programme / Regional MEAL Manager and the project managers, ensures the implementation of systems for monitoring, data collection, information management, evaluation, accountability to affected populations, learning and knowledge management that are adapted to the intervention context and enable compliance with HI standards;
- Forwards to the Programme / Regional MEAL manager any information or difficulties that could help to improve these systems
3 : Operational implementation
Responsibility 1 : Supports projects managers to implement the minimum project management processes described in PME (Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation) policy and guidelines
- Trains and accompanies project managers in the PME methodology guidelines and their application on the programme.
- Ensures the proper planning and implementation of essential project management processes on each project.
Responsibility 2: Is responsible for setting up systems for monitoring outcomes and for ensuring compliance with methodological standards to be used when conducting surveys
- Ensures the systematic drafting of monitoring plans and the regular monitoring of project indicators;
- Provides project managers with technical support and trains project teams and surveyors in monitoring methods and conducting surveys. In particular, supports the design of questionnaires and survey protocols;
- According to the needs and monitoring plans, contributes to certain surveys or monitoring activities through supervision or direct implementation.
Responsibility 3: Is responsible for compliance with the HI standards applicable to project evaluations
- Ensures that evaluation activities are carried out, including annual self-evaluations and follow-up to internal evaluations.
- Ensures that feedback sessions on the findings of evaluations are held with the beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the projects.
Responsibility 4: Is responsible for the application of the mechanisms defined by the Regional MEAL manager to provide accountability to affected populations
- Helps to define population accountability mechanisms and is responsible for the facilitation of these mechanisms;
- Provides regular feedback to the Programme / Regional MEAL manager on the accountability mechanisms in place to enable the continuous improvement of interventions.
Responsibility 5: Contributes to learning and the continuous improvement of HI’s interventions
- Is responsible for implementing processes and methods for collecting, analysing, modelling and ownership of the knowledge produced, in accordance with the frameworks defined by the Programme / Regional MEAL manager.
- Contributes to the analyses of the information collected and the knowledge produced to strengthen collective learning;
- Ensures the sharing of knowledge produced internally on the programme and more broadly at organisation level by using HI Library.
Responsibility 6: Contributes to the external representation and promotion of HI’s MEAL expertise.
- Represents HI’s MEAL and IM expertise in all relevant networks in his or her geographical area of intervention.
Mission 4: Emergency preparedness and response
- Contributes to the programme’s emergency preparedness actions and, in an emergency, adapts his or her working methods to contribute to an effective humanitarian approach by HI.
HI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined the Code of Conduct. In accordance with these values, HI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
Qualifications and skills required:
- Degree in humanitarian aid and/or development and/or international project management, or in any other similar and relevant area (international studies, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the field of humanitarian aid and development project management, or MEAL related jobs
- Being capable of helping team members to progress: developing his or her staff‘s ability to work autonomously
- Knowing how to position oneself so things can move forward
- Knowing how to simplify and prioritise
Professional skills: required
- Results and indicators monitoring
- Planning and coordination of qualitative and quantitative surveys, dissemination of findings
- Project evaluation
- Accountability to populations: participatory, non-discriminatory and responsible approaches
- Learning lessons from experience and continuous learning
- Information management strategy, data structuring and data quality
- Quantitative and qualitative data collection, qualitative analysis
- Responsible data management
- Statistical analysis and data visualisation
Emergency preparedness and response skills
- Emergency response
Emergency monitoring and preparedness
Additional Skills required
- Project management
Diagnostic ,Intervention strategy, Planning, monitoring and coordination
Cash-flow management, Financial / budget management
Facilitation and/or design of training and skills development
- Information Systems Division
Use of my profession’s information system
Personal security management
- Programme management Public relations / representation / internal-external communication
- Inclusion Disability Gender and Age intersectionality
- Proposal and report writing
- Frameworks and references
- Office and collaborative tools
- Stress management
- Working in a global organisation
- Languages: English and Kiswahili
How to apply
f you feel you are the right candidate for this position, kindly send your application along with an up-to- date CV(including 3 referees current and/or past line managers and their current official contacts) by email to :- [email protected] The email subject line should be marked: “Application for MEAL Manager Position”.
Please do not send your academic and other testimonials they will be requested at a later stage. Only short listed candidates with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.
Humanity & Inclusion is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply