INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Emergency Programme Manager
Duty station: Poltava with frequent travels to field locations in and outside the region
Starting date: 01/09/2022
Contract duration: 6 month renewable
Reporting to: Head of Base
Supervision of: 5
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war broke out in Ukraine in February 2022. Since then, millions of people have fled in the different regions of the country, raising a big concern on how to manage such an immense flux of displaced people.
General purpose of the position
The Emergency Programme Manager is in charge of the planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting of all the emergency interventions in frontlines areas.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Emergency Programme Manager will:
• Guarantee an efficient financial management for the projects in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
• Team management and project integration assurance for teams working at the targeted health/protection facilities and IDPs centers in order to guarantee projects quality as per required standards.
• Deliver quality reports for donors, authorities and INTERSOS in good quality and timely manner, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the projects.
Ensure a proper planning of the activities to be implemented:
• Liaise with admin-fin department to secure proper staff recruitment and regularly update HR files
• Prepare and organize training for volunteers and team members
• Organize and conduct project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
• Constantly monitor and analyse the humanitarian situation in the area of intervention in order to evaluate together with the head of base and the Programme Coordinator the possibility to organize fast emergency interventions for the affected population
• Plan and organize emergency need assessments in hard to reach locations
• Plan and organize ad hoc emergency humanitarian intervention and NFIs distributions in the targeted areas affected by the conflict
• Prepare and regularly review a detailed activity plan with team
• Verify the targeting and selection of the beneficiaries
• Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
Financial management and procurement:
• Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
• Verify and approve all purchases/contracts and budget line allocations
• Verify on a weekly basis the book-keeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spreadsheets (Journal): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period, in coordination with finance department
• Ensure for all purchases/contracts of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
• Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
• Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
• Manage and evaluate the performance of the project staff directly managed and ensure that evaluation procedures are implemented for the rest of the team
• Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
• Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
• Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
Monitoring & Evaluation:
• Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries, also through ad-hoc monitoring tools and field visit
• Ensure the full accountability to the beneficiaries
• Ensure quality reporting on achievements against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
• Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS’ PAT reporting tool
• Hold final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
• Deliver regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
Coordination and representation:
• Ensure regular updates to donor representatives in coordination with the Head of Base.
• Coordinate with relevant line-ministries and local authorities for the implementation of the projects.
• Support INTERSOS with the implementation of the Country Strategy, in particular for the development of specific and detailed sector strategies.
Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
Higher education: Economics, Political Science, University degree in humanitarian issues. Alternatively, solid field experience.
At least 3 years of experience in coordination and management positions in emergency humanitarian contexts
- Experience in the implementation of emergency activities funded by UN or ECHO donors and/or other donors
- Good project proposal and report writing skills
- Ability to plan and organize emergency field assessment in hard to reach locations
- Good capacity to analyse the context and possibilities for expansion of the mission/operations
Fluent English (spoken, read, written) is essential. Good knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian (desirable).
- Good organisational, management and planning skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little supervision and under pressure
- Strong communication, written and verbal, and relationship building skills with experience in managing teams
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/62931d89cd557e001e4f63de
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-60-2568-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.