INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Kabul with frequent travels to field locations
Starting date: 18/07/2022
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Director
Supervision of: Programme Managers expat
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
Protracted humanitarian crises and conflict, displacement, governance failure and a deep socio-economic crisis have had a devastating impact on the Afghan population, namely on the most vulnerable groups, caught up in the active conflict-zones, displaced and returned to the country. The South Region, in particular Kandahar and Zabul Provinces, is amongst the critically affected areas. Political and security situation remains volatile, despite the peace talks: almost 50% of the territory is considered contested with frequent clashes and airstrikes. INTERSOS has been present in Afghanistan since 2001 with a country office in Kabul, a field base in Kandahar City and a sub-base in Qalat. INTERSOS focuses on implementing emergency response and relief programs in different sectors: Health, Nutrition, Protection and WASH, serving the conflict-affected population (displaced and not displaced) and with communities living in hard-to-reach areas. A special focus is dedicated to Extreme Vulnerable Individuals (women, children, persons with disabilities, etc.). The program’s general objective is to contribute to reducing the protection and health risks of hard to reach conflict-affected communities. The proposed program aims to improve access to integrated protection, primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care) and nutrition services in the conflict affected areas of Kandahar and Zabul Provinces.
General purpose of the position
The Program Coordinator supports the Country Director with the overall country program development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategy, plans and policies. The Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of all the projects and the smooth implementation of all the activities, in collaboration with all the support and technical Coordinators.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensuring the quality of implementation of the projects in country, providing support to Programme Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Support the Programme Managers in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the activities, deliverables and budgets
- Play a key role in the definition, expansion of geographical and sectorial sectors in an integrated manner and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations in the country
- Carry out a detailed donors and stakeholders mapping in country, in collaboration with the Country Director
- Upon delegation of the Country Director, developing strategic partnerships with other international or local organizations, wherever possible
Project monitoring/review and evaluation
- Conduct regular meetings with the team to review the planning, and discuss the main concerns and the achievements, address any gaps in programming and look at further integration of key sectors
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the activities, in collaboration with Country Director, Head of Base, Programme Managers and MEAL Team
- Support the Country Director for the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse